Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all, I have a real good price quote from a dealer in Hollister on a 2002 3/4 ton 4x4 H.O. 6sp, fully loaded.
Besides the normal regular maintance (oil changes, tire rotations, fluid checks etc..) is there any additional maintenance that diesel's require over gas?
Also, what does removing the "silencer ring" do for the truck? Other than perhaps making it "whine"
Anyone know if there's a difference in the diesel fuels? Auto 1 auto 2? What about commercial fuel. Is it any different?
Later....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The silencer ring does just that, keeps down the turbo whine. I say pull it, and let 'em hear what ya got!

No performance gain/loss.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
GET IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT!

As far as maintenance, there are a few things but nothing major. Along with the fluid checks you have to occasionally drain the water build up out of the fuel filter...simple. It's all in the owner's manual.

As for removing the silencer ring, it's simple, takes less than 5 minutes. It doesn't do anything for the performance, just makes it a little louder. You won't notice much of a difference though with the stock air filter.

Difference in fuel...I've tried them all and haven't noticed any difference.

Hope this helps, BUY THE TRUCK!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Here's the post with addressing the silencer ring...

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.cgi?topic=2760&forum=11

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd buy it!!!! You will love it! I want that 6-speed!!!!!!
As far as fuel. I use to get Rotten Robbie diesel and then started getting Shell, found I get a little more mileage out of the Shell and I think it's cleaner. But it's also more expensive.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Get the diesel! Nothing like the sound of a diesel, like the men vs. boys, Gotta love the smell of diesel also....at least I do :D: Lotsa power, you'll love it.

Nick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
as far as maintainence, keep in mind that you will use a lot more oil, when the battery goes, you have 2 instead of one, stuff like that. its minor...but you asked. ive driven diesels all my life and wouldnt own anything else.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've had my diesel for three weeks now and I have never been more pleased with a vehicle, don't get me wrong I loved my 2001 Ram 1/2 ton but everytime I step on the gas in my diesel it just puts a smile on my face and the engine is still stock. The amount of power in these things is just amazing especially the H.O. with the 6 speed. At first I didn't like the 6 speed because it felt like the shift points were too close together, but now that I put the leveling kit and 315/75/16's on it really has leveled out my shift points so I am not shifting so much. Plus the other advantage of the 3/4 tons is with my leveling kit and 315's I am about as tall as a 1/2 ton with a 4-5" lift kit and 35's but cost me a whole lot less for the lift and has a butt load more power. Get it you will love it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The mileage will be a huge factor for you. Even on a bad tank with my diesel, it's a ton better than my 1500. I used to get 8-10mpg on a good day with it and with my diesel I get 16-18mpg.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As far as the gas mileage goes, I used to be able to go 200 miles with my half ton before the gas light would come on, Now with the Cummins I can go 400+ miles and then even after the light comes on I can still go about 100 miles on the remaining gas. And it isn't even broke in yet, talk about amazing. Don't let the test drive fool you, when I drove mine I thought it was kinda slow but I had the dealer with me and I didn't open it up like I do once my name is on the paper. Get that thing out on an open highway cruizin at 65 and then step on the go pedal to pass somebody before you know it you will look down at your speedo and realize your doing ninety and are barely on the pedal. Trust me these things are amazing. The thing I love about these is the Turbo, once I hit about 1500rpm and that turbo kicks in it feels like a rice burner with nitrous, once it kicks in it just takes off. My 318 never even compared.

·
Registered
535 Posts
One more thing, make sure you get the 3.55 gears I have heard that 4.10 gears with the diesel is a little much it makes the rpm's on the highway a little too high for driving pleasure. But that is just what I have heard so I don't know for sure. Try them both out.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
The H.O 6 speed, has 305 hp?, because once I test drive the 2500 cummins 24V with an Auto trans. and the non H.O. engine, and I can say that it was faster than my 5.2 with 33´s and stock gears. I supposed that the engine has just 245 hp. Am I right about the hp. thing?. does really the H.O has 305hp?, because if it has it, I´m pretty sure that you can feel that diesel power. and it´s amazing. My wife has a Hyundai Galloper Turbo Diesel with a 2.5 liter Turbo Diesel Intercooler motor and it perform really great in every terrain, also the MPG is great. For the ones that don´t know the Galloper, it´s like the old model of the Mitsubishi Montero, more reinforced and with some new stuff in and outside. and it´s korean, and for a Korean 4x4 it´s really good (tough).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For street driving, compare torque curves vs. peak HP numbers, MUCH more telling.

The diesel (HO or normal) has a flat torque curve from 1500-redline(3000?). 400+ the entire time...

You'll rev out the engine faster, but you've always got a ton more torque on-hand than the gasser does.

The gassers only out-torque the diesel when they rev up high, and are pushing 300+ lb-ft, but with the steeper gears (because they are reving higher in a lower gear). So, still in 1st instead of in second.

gasser in 1st at 300lbft = 822lbft to the axle

diesel in 2nd at 400lb-ft = 616lbft to the axle

(automatic tranny ratios)

But put them both in first...

gasser 822
diesel 1100

They drive different, but the diesels are smooth, constant, MASSIVE torque monsters...

The gassers really bog at full throttle until 3000 rpm, by then the diesel is shifting into 2nd gear and already has a length on you... :):

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Chili, you're right about the hp. And you're also right about the performance in comparison to the gas engines. The difference is night and day. Once the turbo kicks in...hold on.

·
Registered
535 Posts
HotChiliRam, you are close about the power ratings, the non H.O. Cummins has 235hp and 465ftlbs reguardless of a 5speed or auto. The H.O. only comes with the 6 speed and is rated at 245hp and 505ftlbs. Both of these motors are faster than the 318 5speed I had in my half ton even though they have the same hp ratings. The turbo makes all the difference in the world. And from what I have heard with an exhaust, intake and a chip you are passed 300hp and 700ftlbs. I can't wait to get mine put in.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I was confused with the old and new motors, because I read in the cummins web page that the new engine for the 2500 Turbo Diesel has 305 hp!!!!!!, so I thought that the 2002 Diesel had the same hp. Little mistake. Also with the hp and torque that you guys have I would be very pleased.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
CumminsPower, I'm not doubting you but where did you get those numbers? Because I read the same thing on Cummins' home page. Maybe that was the night I was smoking crack...J/K

·
Registered
472 Posts
it's 245 hp---don't know about the 305# but that could be for the new 2003 or 2004 common rail engines-----chris

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes the numbers I stated earlier 245hp and 505ftlbs for the H.O. are for the Cummins for 2002. In 2003 (the new cummins) the numbers are 305hp and 550ftlbs very similar to the Duramax.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts