Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the last upgrade on my rig will be a computer chip of some sort. From reading the messages it sounds like you guys prefer the mopar. Where did you get it? Is it best to goto a dealer? Will I really be able to tell a difference? Pain in the ass running hi octane?

Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can I tag along on this?

What's up with the no towing thing with the PCM???

I've seen where a couple guys are running the Mopar 2WD in there 2001 4x4's with no prob. Anyone here try it? Is it also a non-towing recomended set-up?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The no towing thing is because of engine ping.

With the MPC, you need to run 91/92 octane, and when you add the load of towing, the spark advance may be too much, and you might start pinging.

If you ping now without it on 87, then you definitely won't be able to tow with it on 92.

Hadn't heard about using hte 2wd chips on a 4wd ram. Not surprised that it doesn't care.

Probably not certified for 4wd because it costs too much for them to do the testing, and they figure most people who want the MPC aren't getting 4x4s. Or maybe they didn't pass CARB with the 4x4s... Dunno.

·
Registered
969 Posts
they do make a computer for your 98 4x4. However because of emissions i heard they might be discontinuing the mopar pcm. thats just a rumor though, i don't know if its true.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
if you buy it online, youre gonna have to take it to a dealer to get it flashed anyways. if you buy it from the dealer, they may throw it in for the price. it depends on how good of a deal you can get.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
KRC is here:

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc_performance_pcm.htm

They can flash your VIN in for you before sending it out (extra $25)

KRC may not be the best prices, but they are probably the best online speedshop for Magnum engines. They specialize in them.

I know a guy that had them turn his '00 5.9 V8 into a supercharged 408 stroker. Thing was amazing (over 400hp).

They can take care of you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My dealer didn't charge me for labor, they just put it in and sent me out the door.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Try
-mydodgeparts.com-
they do offer the Mopar PCM.
prices vary from $ 300 to $450

·
Registered
969 Posts
The pcm costs more than a chip but this way you assured that it will work together with your truck. The chips are mostly universal so on some applications they don't work very well.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
koller dodge in naperville sells M.P. parts online at a pretty good discount.
(r/t heads were like $700 a set).
http://www.kollerparts.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
I WAS ON THE MOPAR PARTS WEBSITE LOOKING AT THE PCM'S AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS COULD TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ONE LISTED AS CALIFORNIA(P5007105) OR FEDERAL (P5007106). I HAVE A 99 1500 WITH THE 360 AND AUTO AND I WANTED TO KNOW WHICH ONE I NEED TO GET. I LIVE IN PA IF THAT MATTERS.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
the CA one is designed for less emisions. if you are not in CA then go for the federal one. less smog crap, means more power.

·
Registered
52 Posts
THANKS FOR THE INPUT ON THE PCM HAWIILUVER IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. DOES THE VIN # HAVE TO BE FLASHED IN ? I'M THINKING OF GETTING IT FROM SUMMIT AND THE LAST ONE I HAD FOR MY 95 1500 I JUST INSTALLED IT AND TOOK OFF DOWN THE ROAD. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yup, If you've got a 99 you'll need to have it flashed in. I just ordered one from mydodgeparts.com for mine. 300.00. about 60.00 cheaper than Summit. Should be here this week...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts