Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better? I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab and want to get a chip for it. I have the 318 engine. I have heard that Mopar puts out a chip for the Dodge's, but I don't know how much better it is then the Jet chip.

Bob

·
Registered
807 Posts
if you go with the jet, i think for the stage II chip you'll need to run 92 octane gas or higher. the stage I just takes regular. i dont know about the mopar.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...you have to keep in mind...to get the most performance out of a chip, you need to run an air intake, headers and exhaust...in addition to the 92 octane fuel! yes, the Mopar requires 92! Good Luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the exhaust already, duals with a flowmaster 40 series. I am planning on headers and a Volant air intake setup with a cold air induction. Runnin 92 Octane will not be a problem to me.

Bob

·
Registered
502 Posts
Bob,

I had the jet Stage II in my truck and didnt see any difference at all.
I dont know if this is because of the way my truck is running or not.
My truck appears to run fine but doesnt make the power it should and gets crappy milage. I may put the chip back after I take my truck to Dodge about some other things.

As far as I know Mopar does not have a performance computer for the 2001 models and may not come out with them last I heard.

Jet Stage II chip
Custom FlowMaster Exhaust
Mopar Performance Roller Rockers
TransGo Shift kit w/ Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Monster Stereo System

·
Registered
376 Posts
Personally,I feel that the cost of fuel offsets any performance gain give by either chip. I have heard that installing an MSD box does improve low end power WITHOUT going to premium gas. I am attempting to contact MSD for specs and instalation tips.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I hope I do not offend anyone that has or had a Jet chip and loved it but THEY SUCK!!!!!! We installed it in my bud 1998 Ram and the only thing we felt was different shift points and that is it. This is the stage II I am talking about can't say much for the stage I. If you are really looking for performance at least first to intake and exhaust and then the computer. If you do all three at once man you feel a huge difference in everything a huge plus on the butt dyno! I highly recommend going with the MP pcm but don't run it cause I hate paying for 92 octane. :):

BOB after writing all this I realized you had a 2001! They don't make a MP PCM for you yet...sorry bud :(:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Foolish,

In order to get the most performance from any performance chip, you need other modifications, such as intake, headers, high-flow-cat, cat back exhaust, etc...in addition to the 92 octane fuel. You're right, if it's just the chip alone, don't expect much!

·
Registered
218 Posts
On 2001-12-18 08:13, Bobsdodge wrote:
Which one is better? I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab and want to get a chip for it. I have the 318 engine. I have heard that Mopar puts out a chip for the Dodge's, but I don't know how much better it is then the Jet chip.

Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
On 2001-12-27 17:36, Dodgeraminhamburg wrote:
On 2001-12-18 08:13, Bobsdodge wrote:

Bob

Sorry!
I'm new on this forum and pressed "enter" way to fast!
I've got the Mopar PCM on my 1996 5.9 V8 Ram and it works great with the K&N Gen II Filtercharger and Stainless Cat Back I added last week.
Real good improvement with impressive sound.
The Mopar PCM will change the shiftpoints of the tranny and that's ok with me because I run 35" tires without change in gears.
I felt that the feeling of improved performance comes with the PCM itself and much more with the installation of the Cat Back.
So do not expect too much of the PCM as a single addition.
My opinion: Opt fot the Mopar PCM

Hans

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have a 99 with the 360, I bought a jet stage 2 chip, I have exhaust, k&N, but no 160 degree thermostat like Jet Perf. wants you to have, I would have sworn the chip did nothing for the truck, but after taking the chip out I relized the chip did help the truck significantly, i would estimate hp gains of 20 or so, and much better/harder shift points. The downside has been the price of 93 octane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts