Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put mobile-1 in while doing an oil-change over the weekend. The first thing I noticed is that at 40*, the stuff was THIN. Especially compared to the Valvoline 10w30 that was coming out of the engine (6K miles, I know, I'm bad). And it was warm oil coming out of the engine.

Pouring in the M1, I noticed that it quickly ran to the bottom of the engine, and I could hear it landing in the oil-pan. Not used to that sound during an oil-change.

On the first start-up, it took the standard second or two for the oil-pump to get the oil circulating, and then the pressure went up to a around 30 (normal idle pressure), and then slowly rose to 60 or so. I'm guessing of the dash-gauge.

Ever since putting in the mobile 1, it's steady at 60. Never drops to 40 during idle. This impressed me. Hopefully it's a good thing, that the Mobile 1 is more "pumpable", and therefore I'm more likely to get better lubing from it.

I have 49K on the truck, so I'm curious to see if I get any leaks, or if my weaping front seal gets worse or not (No, I still haven't fixed it).

·
Registered
969 Posts
Are you talking about the Mobil 1 synthetic, synthetic blend or the cheap stuff?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I always run Mobile 1 in all my trucks. I ran it in my last 2 Tacoma's, my dad's Tacoma and now my Dodge. I love the stuff.

Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running the full synthetic now. Unless it starts leaking badly, I'm probably going to stick with it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thats the exact same oil I run, I haven't had any problems with it yet.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
more pressure means the pump is pumping harder. just like when you step on the brakes. the harder you press, the higher the pressure. i dont think its a problem though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You know once you go synthetic, its not a good idea to go back. The regular oil wont run quite right. I just put synthetic in my exploder, and liked it, but I like Castrol 20W-50 in my truck, and it works fine. No problems.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can also get a can of Restore. It cleans the engine walls and the engine runs better. I put it in a 24 year old engine on its last leg and I got 4 more years out of it before it gave. (Used Restore with every oil change)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Intersting thing I noted, is that the oil after a few days seems to be picking up a lot of crap from the system, it's a LOT darker, but not burnt.

I figure I might not have drained out all the old stuff, or the new stuff is washing out some of the junk that's built up over the 2 years I've had the truck.

Another intersting thing is that my engine pings less, a LOT less...

·
Registered
255 Posts
well, when you drain the oil, all of it never completely comes out. That's why you are seeing some dark coloration because it is mixing. Next time you change your oil, put a can of restore in it. that'll clean your system

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my Ram. I have about 120,000 miles on it and no oil leaks or any problems so far. A question about the "Restore". Should I add this to the sythetic oil? I used it once in my other truck and noticed a bit of an improvement, i'm not sure if it would help or hinder my engine while running synthetics.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, I am not 100% sure so don't take my word for it but, it should work because all restore really does is bond to all that crap on the walls of your engine, and get cycled through until it hits the filter. All synthetic engine oil does is lubricate better.

As far as the mpg improvement, I used mobil one two days ago and the restore before I went on a trip saturday. My mileage really improved.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Whats the best per quart price you have been getting full synthetic Mobile 1 from and where?

I get mine at Target for $3.89 a quart.
Kragen is $4.89 a quart

·
Registered
255 Posts
On 2002-03-24 11:54, bobbyRobie wrote:
Were can you get "Restore" from?

Well, you can find it at just about any Western Auto, O'Reillys, whatever parts store you have near you. Or maybe Jason could just buy in bulk and start selling it here :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts