Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hope that everyone has and will enjoy the remainder of the holidays. I decided to take a little vacation time and go visit my grandparents...and ran into a couple problems. First off, when you rotate your tires, make sure you check your lug nut studs for wear also. I found this out the hard way, while driving down Interstate five from Redding to Chino, Ca. I made it about 100 miles North of Bakersfield when my truck felt like I lost all balance in the front end. Ahh to my suprise when I pulled over and checked, to find not one, but two studs missing off the drivers front of my truck. Another hint to anyone with a 4x4 Ram with 3 inches of lift and 35s, if you have all that plastic stuff on your front bumper, you can put a Hi-lift jack in the little section by where the fog lights go (it doesn't bend much), also, a 48 inch jack will not jack up the truck in the front, buy a bigger one, or improvise. I used an old ammo can. Also, those alloy rims (light and durable) are like butter when you are missing two studs. Lucky for me I had a spare on a steel rim. Please learn from my mistake, check your new lug nuts also after you have changed your wheels. I thought they would match the stock ones...NO they did not, another reason to carry tools with you...Enjoy the Holidays! whoopee.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem Ian, but at least you didn't crash. I find that I can use my 48" hi-lift on my front tow hooks in order to get a tire just off the ground. Just be sure to lineup the jack bar with the tow hook side that is bolted, not the free floating end.

I know what you mean about checking to be sure that your lug nuts fit your wrenches. My previous American Racing wheels had 13/16" lug nuts and the same size key for the lock. Couldn't use my factory setup for them. My new wheels came with standard 3/4" lugs but my lock key still needs the 13/16" socket. What a PITA.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know, I had thoughts later on of my drivers front tire rolling down the highway and my brake caliper sparking down the freeway. That would have been a really interesting way to start my vacation. Anyway I took it in to Big-O in Bakersfield where they told me that the remaining three studs also showed signs of cracking. Thankfully they replaced all five of them. Once it stops pouring here, i'll have to check all of my old studs, this is bugging me a bit. I'd rather be safe then sorry though. Hey Jason, when your studs broke off your truck, were they stock ones or could you recommend an aftermarket brand of higher quality?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I used stock ones from the dealer (only ones in stock anywhere at the time). You local Napa can get you new studs. Had them ordered with my new hubs, but the hubs came wiht studs already mounted. Don't recall the price since I didn't buy them.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, how about this...another question, kind of the same topic. I went back to Big-O to have my wheel replaced and came to find out that my wheel bearing were bad...along with my U-joint. After we replaced those I kept the old wheel bearing with the new studs in it. The studs only have about 800 miles on them. Would it be safe to take them out and using them to replace older ones, or could I use them as back ups just in case?

·
Registered
464 Posts
No... studs are a one time use item. They are held in place by little teeth that get compressed/wedged into the hub when they are installed. If you remove them (via a BFH or any other type of equipment) they will not go back into a new/different hub securely.

We replace studs at Sears all the time and I've NEVER seen one come out (well whats left after it snaps) in reusable condition.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, at least I didn't have to pay for the studs they put on before I replaced my bearing hub. I can think of it as another hundred bucks I can spend on my truck later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts