Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody seen or used a mercedes steering arm for a high steer? i saw in some pics that it looked nice and one can be had for around $15. i have the suspension and brakes worked out and parts coming in but now im addressing the steering issue. since a drop pitman ar costs about $65 and a z-link is $100 it seems like a great idea. would i run into n problem of mounting the draglink blow the pitman arm and above the mercedes arm?

Thanks

pic of what im talking about. it has a 3in drop arm. think i could just mount the draglink on the other side of the mercedes arm?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i doubt it. in that setup, the tie rod would hit the frame when flexed

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you sure you mean tie rod? if i have the bumpstops in the proper position i shouldnt encounter any hitting of parts, right?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i meant drag link, my bad. stock samurai springs are pretty flexy, i guess that you could set your bumpstops, but that kinda defeats the purpose. I'd just go with the z link, that's what mine has and it works good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On 2007-02-01 09:09, Matty wrote:
i meant drag link, my bad. stock samurai springs are pretty flexy, i guess that you could set your bumpstops, but that kinda defeats the purpose. I'd just go with the z link, that's what mine has and it works good.

z-link works, over the top steering is much better. i don't know alot about the mercedes high steer, but i know people do it, and it works, and it is much better than a z-link. as far as mounting the drag link above the mercedes arm, you can do that, it might hit the frame depending on your setup(which would be helpfull to tell us). the problem is that it is tapered so you will need to drill and tap new threads(or whatever is involved, i am not real sure).

anyway. i have over the top steering that i bought from sky and the draglinks does bolt to the top like you are wanting to do. it works awesome, can't imagine steering my samurai without it. it is something i should have bought years earlier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hy Steer is the way to go.
Z Links are an ok temp fix for someone that either doesnt know any better or just doesnt want to do it correctly.

Your drag link will NOT hit the frame.

dan

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
On 2007-03-30 10:33, zukgod1 wrote:

Z Links are an ok temp fix for someone that either doesnt know any better or just doesnt want to do it correctly.

hmmm....i DD and wheel the piss out of mine with a Z link and don't have a problem with bumpsteer or anything else anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts