Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i sold my chevy and since i have been looking for a cheap wheeler. i have my dodge cummins, but i dont like to wheel that too much, so i figured i could get a rig and use the cummins as a tow rig. Anyway, i found an 86 samurai, he says it has a 6" lift and 31" swampers on it. He said it needs a starter. he is asking 500 B/O. i was thinking of offering like 300. how are these for wheeling. i was thinking it would be fun to beat on. I would like to atleast run 33s, maybe 35s. What is needed for this? How hard is the yota axle swap? is it a direct bolt? what do you guys think of this idea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
Stay away from it. That poor Zuk doesn't deserve someone like you owning it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
With 33s you will need some more lift gears and a motor swap would help the 1.3 will be weak with 33s. A 1.6 motor and 5.13 gears 3 more inchs of lift and it will be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
a yota swap is a direct bolt in. no fab or extra parts needed. its the same bolt pattern too.

have you thought about a C303 axle swap? its basically the same thing as a yota axle, except not as much ground clearence. they are really cheap and even easier to swap in a zuki.

personaly i would replace the birfields with a CTM u-joint. that way you can run a front locker without any worries.

when i had my 87 zuki, my t-case shifter sheet went out and locked up the t-case. i had debri from the grenaded gears get in my transmission. make sure this one has a good one or you will be needing a new tranny/t-case soon.

$300 sounds like a fair price to me for a running samurai

Goodluck :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-07-31 00:45, Random Task wrote:
a yota swap is a direct bolt in. no fab or extra parts needed. its the same bolt pattern too.

have you done this swap? what do you do about steering? when you say same bolt pattern, i assume you are talking about the wheels. it may be the same bolt pattern(???), but toy axles have an extra bolt, witch will create some problems for you.

my point is, it is an easy swap, but direct bolt in is a bit of a stretch.

have you thought about a C303 axle swap? its basically the same thing as a yota axle, except not as much ground clearence. they are really cheap and even easier to swap in a zuki.

what is a C303 axle? i will have to look that one up.
personaly i would replace the birfields with a CTM u-joint. that way you can run a front locker without any worries.

i have never heard of this option. the only u-joint option i am aware of is an axle trail-tough sells. otherwise everyone else just makes upgraded birfields. i hope to get a set myself, but they are very pricey.

when i had my 87 zuki, my t-case shifter sheet went out and locked up the t-case. i had debri from the grenaded gears get in my transmission. make sure this one has a good one or you will be needing a new tranny/t-case soon.

$300 sounds like a fair price to me for a running samurai

Goodluck :bigthumb:

there is no way the debri form grenaded tcase gears got into your trany unless you opened up both units and put them there. zuki tcase is not connected to the trany. anyway, shifter sheeth is not a big deal, cheap to replace. if it does lock up, just pull the shifter out and mess with it, you can usually get things lined up again and get it going. helpfull to have a big screwdriver. but it does not cause your gears to fail. 2 seperate issues there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
On 2007-07-31 00:45, Random Task wrote:
a yota swap is a direct bolt in. no fab or extra parts needed. its the same bolt pattern too.

not even fawking close. that extra wheel stud will get in the way, as well as the driveshaft flange and umm...spring perches in the wrong places....

I have a sammy axle laying next to a yota axle right now...I know....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
I stand by my statements. They are all 100% true!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-08-04 22:23, Random Task wrote:
I stand by my statements. They are all 100% true!!!

nothing irritates me more then someone giving incorrect or misleading information. the information you gave is misleading at best, if not just down right incorrect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
i believe you are incorrect sir. you need to look up your facts :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-08-04 23:28, zukibrother wrote:


nothing irritates me more then someone giving incorrect or misleading information. the information you gave is misleading at best, if not just down right incorrect.

explain to me how samurai wheels bolt on to toyota axles.

explain to me how a tcase shifter sheath going bad destroys the tcase gears, and then the transmission gears. have you ever looked underneath a samurai?

explain to me how toyota axles are bolt on. how about the steering. do you use the samurai draglink. does this bolt on to the toy axles?

i am giving you specific examples of why you are incorrect, or misleading. at least have the balls to back up what you say. i really don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
toyota and sami have the same basic desgn, therefore the axles will easily interchange along with steering geometry.

if the shifter sheet goes out the t-case will jam and lock up therfore causing the tranny to self implode.

it annoys me that people want to call other people out only to look stupid in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
i asked you very specific and direct questions, and you respond with general statements.

again i ask you, have you ever looked underneath a samurai? have you actually done the toy axle swap? i believe if you had you wouldn't be making these incorect statements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
i owned a 87 samurai, i currently own a 84 yota. i am very aware of how each vehicle operates.

i want you to go back and see what i said about a c303 axle. look it up and get back with me. and just re-read what i wrote and and use the space between your ears to carefully decipher what i have typed. if you cant figure out the method behind my madness...well...sir...goodluck in life.

thanks for the laugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-08-05 00:10, Random Task wrote:
i owned a 87 samurai, i currently own a 84 yota. i am very aware of how each vehicle operates.

i want you to go back and see what i said about a c303 axle. look it up and get back with me. and just re-read what i wrote and and use the space between your ears to carefully decipher what i have typed. if you cant figure out the method behind my madness...well...sir...goodluck in life.

thanks for the laugh.

i know nothing about a c303 axle, and am not refering to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-08-04 23:57, Random Task wrote:
toyota and sami have the same basic desgn, therefore the axles will easily interchange along with steering geometry.

yes they do have the same basic design. but i suspect you are someone who has looked at the axles been never done the swap, because it is the details that will get you. it is not a bolt in deal. draglink will need to be modified, new axle perches will need to be welded on, and the driveshafts will not bolt up without adapters or modifications. samurai wheels will not bolt up to toy axles under any stretch of the truth.

again i say, it is an easy swap, i give you that, but it is not 100% bolt in as you state. people reading this need to know these things before they attempt to do them and you are just giving misleading information.
if the shifter sheet goes out the t-case will jam and lock up therfore causing the tranny to self implode.

again you are incorect. the tcase jamms itself in neutral, this harms nothing. you just remove the shifter and with a big screwdriver adjust the sifting forks, and put it all back together and away you go. at some point in the future you need to get a new shifter sheath, but it is not critical, if you know how things work, and what to do.

next on to the trany. how does a tcase getting jammed in neutral destory the trany. it does not, they are not connected in any way other than the jack shaft. am i going to have to post some pictures of a samurai trany and trace and draw little arrows showing you what is what and how things work?

it annoys me that people want to call other people out only to look stupid in the end.


i am only calling you out because you are incorrect. you don't have a clue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
ive seen the yota swap done a thousand times. you need to get off your high horse and face the facts.

this has to be the most fun ive had on ps.com in a while.

dude, think about what i wrote earlier. it makes perfect sense.

edit: i may be getting it mixed up: its the FJ40 axle swap thats a direct bolt in, sorry for the confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-08-05 00:24, Random Task wrote:
ive seen the yota swap done a thousand times. you need to get off your high horse and face the facts.

this has to be the most fun ive had on ps.com in a while.

dude, think about what i wrote earlier. it makes perfect sense.

edit: i may be getting it mixed up: its the FJ40 axle swap thats a direct bolt in, sorry for the confusion.

yep that last statement summs it up. and no the fj40 axle is not a direct swap either. i am sorry, you just do not know your facts. i do, and i can back them up.

i am sorry to be such a dick about it, but like i said, it really annoys me when people post incorect or misleading information as fact. and your last statment is an admission that you do not have you facts straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
dude, your a moron. i was making fun of the original poster.

hook, line, and sinker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
On 2007-08-05 00:38, Random Task wrote:
dude, your a moron. i was making fun of the original poster.

hook, line, and sinker.

who is the moron? you come onto a zuk bbs, and post incorrect info as fact. i call you out, and you continue on. there is nothing in your original post to indicate that you are just having fun with him. the original poster had a very legitimate question. if you want ot act like a total ass then go post on pirate4x4 or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,372 Posts
everything in my OP indicates that i was making fun.

he asked a dumb question, all he had to do was search.

I was hoping you would catch on. i guess your not that bright.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :bluecry: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I honestly yhought people wouuld get a good luagh out of what i typed. not get bent out of shape. i cant see how anything i wrote could have been taken seriously.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top