Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pops started talking about making the roads less muddy and inpassable at the camp. I went off him cuase it's gonna spoil the fun of 5"lift and 35's. He's letting me take the bulldozer and make my own trails to play on with the 99RAM(mine), 93 jeep(his), 76 Ford(his), and 86 Yota (Mine). plus my buddies rides and our 4wheelers. Planning on clearing out a space 2 dozers wide and a mile and a 1/2 long. gonna make several mud pits that are fed by the creek, and probably a couple hills to climb, maybe a dirt rti ramp(lol). any advice or ideas on what to make let me hear em.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
PLEASE say yours in So cal

·
Registered
40 Posts
toss a frame twister in there made out of the logs of trees youll be knocking over :): they are fun to play with. also, make some winch posts while your at it, you never know if youll need them
-Eric

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
screw you rawkin, you guys have all the fun. i relly hope you are in South Carolina. oh man, make a tire pit! a big one to seperate the men from the boys. i tell you what i will come and drive the wheels... er tracks off the buildozer for you. i will make a MUUUUUDDDD pit!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If you are going to feed the pit with a creek, be sure that it does not drain back into the creek otherwise you will silt it up more and perhaps get oil and gas in the water.

Find some large rocks to put in in places so you have some things to crawl over. Make some whoopdies but tilt them opposite directions every other one so you need to get all crossed up as you go.

Don't want to give ammo to the greenies, even if it is private property.

·
Registered
683 Posts
To start our mudhole, a bulldozer found an underground spring and got stuck while clearing a fence line. We just cleared off the rest of the area around it and let the sring fill it up. All the topsoil we cleared off, we made a decent sized hill climb. There is also a small rock climb and another hill along a creek bank. It aint much, but its fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm concerned about the creek too. If it is fed by the creek, then it must drain at some point too.

Go to http://www.nohvcc.org/html/services/catcsult.htm
They can give you advise on trail building.

One thing my club does is dig sediment ponds on trails that border creeks. This is a place that catches runnoff before it gets to the creek and gives the mud a chance to settle. Our trail would be closed without them.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Is this land your going to tear up yours? (does your family actually own it?) As resposnible wheelers, we all need to practice "Tread lightly" What your planning to do is far from that. I'm all for having a place to tear up, get muddy etc.. but if this land isn't family owned, then your giving the "green weinnies" amunition to close off areas. Thats a fire we wheelers don't need to add fuel too! Too much land closeurs going on right now everywhere.
If your fortunate enough to own the land, Well, just make sure you protect the creek, and have fun! Definetly add some rocks to play on!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Im trying to convince my friends brother-in-law to make a little mud pit/ramp area in my backyard, I have 5 acres open to do anything with. The guy owns a bobcat, and im trying to get him to do it for free, because he has a truck too and there really arent any places to go around here, literally. Make sure you have logs going across the road, when they are wet, it makes it a real challenge to get over them if you have enough of them, and they are all different sizes.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i haven't accomplished a lot on the new trail yet. i have one mud pit that is in a bagaul that holds water year round and gets really nasty after a rain. then there are a coupple where the bulldozer discovered that it might still be wet even if the dirt on top looks dry. it sunk and mad a badass hole to get through. there is about a ten foot section of felled trees of a$$orted sizes witha bypass road in case you're scared. a tire pit is in the works but i really don't have enough tires. we're about to dig a pond in the area so i claimed all the excess dirt to make a decent hillclimb and a small ramp. no rocks in the area and i haven't pushed my road to the creek crossing yet. i'll get there eventually. yes the land is my family's. we own around 1300 undered acres witha lot of trails but none that are very challenging. now i gotta chance to improve upon an old one and add a lot to it. keep the advice coming.
troy

·
Registered
981 Posts
If your looking for old tires, try looking at a firestone or junkyard. I don't know if they'll charge you, but its worth a shot. It's a good idea to build your own trails. All the land owners here are too affraid of law suits to let us play there. We just lost the last trails in Lafayette, thanks to our fine state government. They're building a new on and of ramp, right through the middle of the trails. We used to have a good mile of trails and a pond, but theres really not much left of it now. And we do have a place near by called Duhon's mud hole, but its not kept up very well. So i don't know where they expect us to go now. Not to many options left in town. :cuss: :321:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts