Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the state of Maine (in which I'm a resident) Is changing the lift height for trucks from 7 inches down to 3 inches. This is appauling, In Maine you need a truck to get through the winter and all the backwoods areas. 3 FREAKIN INCHES!!!!!! Anyone that does not live here should feel lucky. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that my truck has a 4 inch lift kit on it. Its going to be a battle to pass inspection next year, but there is no way I'm taking the lift off after paying $1200 for it. IF YOU OWN A TRUCK, STAY AWAY FROM MAINE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Sorry to hear that. The inconsistent laws in this country are a pain to deal with.

At least the CA law is frame height based on GVWR and not some fixed lift height.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not very clear on how lift/clearance laws are in other states but Maine has always been pretty strict, the place I usually go to for inspection said they might be able to find a few loopholes for me.
How high is a truck allowed to be in Calafornia?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here in Florida it is measured from ground to bottom of bumper and is based on vehicle weight. I have a 3" suspension lift and 36" tires and I am well below the max.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
That does suck...
well in NJ they just changed their laws too..
All trucks with 44's are no longer grandfathered. At the end of this year 38's are the biggest...
my truck has 13" leafs all the way round and 40" ground hawgs...but measure 37 inches...
I am currently working on the truck I took my 3 inch body lift off.

I have to replace the motor-killed it
fix exhaust
adjust steering
fix breaks
then register the truck...

hopefully they dont change the laws again...

oh yeah with gvw up to 4500 you can have 35's
4500-7500 you can have 36's and I fall in the 7500-10000 (with 8400gvw) for 38's
...............geeeeeeeezzzzee

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry to hear about the chnages to the law in maine. When I went to college in maine, I had a '88 S10 blazer, and I was surprised how many places I could get with that stock truck. Althought, I knew when to stop, and leave certain trails for the jacked boys. On the other hand, I saw a massively lifted bronco II almost flip making a left turn onto a icy road. So my guess is that the law is in response to those people who don't know how to drive a lifted truck. Heck, on the last 15 miles of road to my school we would have 3-4 CARS on their roof every winter, and many more lesser wrecks.

Now I have a Ram and live in Conn. Haven't had a chance to take it offroad yet, Fairfield County is way to yuppie to know what off roading is (but they all drive 4wd SUV's none the less). but if anyone knows anygood offroading spots in SW Conn. that don't need lifts, let me know.

Stephen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey DarkBlack, where about in CT?
I'm in New Milford, and really haven't found any good off roading spots either, except for one place, which requires some bigger tires to get over some of the bigger boulders.
If you know New Milford at all, it's off of River Road/Roostertail Hollow.
There's always people in there, and it is pretty much CL&P property.
No one should bother you in there, unless they have a rig capable of getting in there themselves.
Nothing major, unless you want it to be.
Narrow in most parts, a few branch scrapes, no cliffs to drive off accidently, unless you really try hard too.
BTW, I got a 5" Lift and 35" tires, plannig on adding a 3" body lift this weekend.
If CT passes any more laws, I'll just drive the thing Illegally, too friggin rediculous when one power can't come up with an exceptable basis.
50 states, 50 different lift laws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well, I don't mean to be rude, but it's supposed to be blue not black in my userid, but who really cares, as long as everyone knows who you are talking to, right?

As for CT law. I know there is a legal limit in CT for both body and suspesion lifts. But I can't remember them, but unless it's over ten years old and you need have to go through a pre-registration inspections, the only way to get caught is for a cop to drive by and think that it looks too much, and stop you.

I'm from SE Fairfield county, I know roughly where you are talking. hoping for something that doesn;t need lifts.

Stephen

(edit: removed bad image link, jason)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry about that, you know right after I hit send, I said, I wonder if I should have said Blue.
Actually, I had just seen a Black Ram 5" lift 3" body lift and was thinking about that for a bit.
If I find an offroad site, that fits the bill, I will let you know.
As far as the law goes again.
I thought it was 28" to the bottom of the bumpers, or framerail, one or the other, and I am still researching those laws in the books, if they are there, because like I said in the past, one minute I saw something regarding height, then a month later i couldn't find that statute.
It seems they change to quickly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
just regester your truck in a different state. my truck is regestered in Texas, so i have {expletive} for lift laws. got my insurance in Michigan, because it was cheaper than Texas/Arizona and im living in Phoenix now. kind of confuses the cops when they stop me. everything is in different states. they dont know what to think. ohh well, works for me!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
bored huh? this is a really old thread. its cool though. good thing we only have to worry about mud flaps! :bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts