Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use these?? do you like them? i like the way they look but do they stay on?? kinda gets pricey by the time ya get em painted and put on..but they list for about $65.00

·
Registered
67 Posts
They look good from far, but FAR from good. These go under the category of WORST accessory, and most useless. I like the look of the scoop hoods,and am planning on putting one on my truck, but the stick-on Lund scoops look bad. when you ar close up on the truck they are obviously not real and make the truck look fake. I'd advise against them.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
you can get a scoop hood for 300 bucks... plus paint... but it looks a TON better plus it is fiberglass so is ALOT lighter than the steel... the Lund stick ons look cheap!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got the Lund scoops on my Ram and I like em. Sure there not funtional, but how many trucks do you see that actually have funtioning scoops? Sure there not as nice as a fiberglass hood, but I think they look nice and I've gotten alot of compliments on how they look. They kind of give the front end a "beasty" look.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of my buddies bought a set of these a couple of weeks ago. We stuck them on the hood and then riveted them in place. Next we took fiberglass bodyfiller and filled in the seams around the scoop. They look EXACTLY like the $400 ram air hood. You can't tell at all that they are stick on's. The only problem about it is all the sanding. It takes a LOT of block sanding to get them faded into the hood with no waves or dips. We bought the paint and painted the whole hood and put a set of flames on top of the scoops too. Looks bad ass if you ask me. If anyone tries to do this use the fiberglass filler, otherwise the reguler "bondo" will crack around the seam.
-Travis

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would chalk these up into the "Euro Tailight, big spolier" category. If you really love your Ram (not saying you don't!), then spend the extra money and get a real ram air hood and replace your current one. I have seen these in person, and they look cheap. Now if you french them in like the previous post, then they would look alot better, but is sounds like a lot of time and effort.

This is just my opinion

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
IS there any steel Ram air hood available? I've seen plenty of fiberglass things around,
I don't want fiberglass! Need Steel!

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's all personal preferance and what you want to spend. I agree, the fiberglass scoops look great, but I think the Lund scoops look good too. It's like all the other accessories, it's what you want to put into it. I saw a guy mount 2 metal paint roller trays upside down on his hood. I think that's the #1 white trash accessory I've ever seen. :eek::

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-31 08:55, travis wrote:
One of my buddies bought a set of these a couple of weeks ago. We stuck them on the hood and then riveted them in place. Next we took fiberglass bodyfiller and filled in the seams around the scoop. They look EXACTLY like the $400 ram air hood. You can't tell at all that they are stick on's. The only problem about it is all the sanding. It takes a LOT of block sanding to get them faded into the hood with no waves or dips. We bought the paint and painted the whole hood and put a set of flames on top of the scoops too. Looks bad ass if you ask me. If anyone tries to do this use the fiberglass filler, otherwise the reguler "bondo" will crack around the seam.
-Travis

that just sounds like its asking for the filler to pop and crack having to feather it out. how thick are those hood scoops? any filler over 1/8" thick and you asking for trouble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So far so good. They've been on there for a couple weeks with no cracks yet. The fiberglass filler shouldn't crack though. You apply it in thin layers to make sure all of it is dried even. We talked to a body shop owner and that is what he told us to use and how to use it. I'll let you know if it does. Hopefully it won't though.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-31 13:46, travis wrote:
So far so good. They've been on there for a couple weeks with no cracks yet. The fiberglass filler shouldn't crack though. You apply it in thin layers to make sure all of it is dried even. We talked to a body shop owner and that is what he told us to use and how to use it. I'll let you know if it does. Hopefully it won't though.

travis im still waiting for those pictures of your ghost flames!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dude, those are SO lame, they're in the RICE category. You can't get much worse than stick on, non-functional hood scoops.

(in the voice of the comic book store guy from the Simpsons)- Lamest mod EVER.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts