Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey has anyone had a problem similar to this? Today i was taking the left front tire off to replace the rotors and brake(umm MUD) but anyways the first 4 lug nuts come off no problem the 5th however was a different story. my snap on 3/4in impact gun couldn;t budge it so i decided to do it by hand and got a lug wrench and jerked one good time and POW the stud snapped in two right at the base of the lugnut. it wasn;t cross threaded or anything what could have made it stick like that?. OH YEAH don;t break them the only place i could find one was from the dealer and for 1 stud and 1 lug nut it was 19.92 WTF?????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did it to four of 5 on out wheel, and that was when i noticed the problem. They are easy to replace and I just went to the local M&O Schucks and they carried them. Cost me $1.25 per lug. Easy to replace. Jason has a "how to" on the Tech part of this board.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Always when taking lug nuts off as well as putting them on you dont want to tighten or take them off in a circular patern. You want to use a star patern and get them loose then go the rest of the way. To help out you may want to losen them first while the truck is still on the ground and then jack it up and finish off the job! As my dad always said take your time and do it right. Hell after listening to that i kept myself out of a lot of trouble!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i did everything but the anti-sieze it was only the 5th one that broke. oh well no big deal just wondering if anyone else had has this problem.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i had busted one taking it off because of a flat(had to put the factory skinnies back on til my replacement swamper came in). had to wait a day to get the stud, drove around with only 4 studs, pulled in jacked the back up to replace that one and found the 4 others came loose and the threads had gotten f*cked up by the rim, and had to replace all 5 on that axle. talk about lucky.
using an impact doesnt help either. ill spin all my lugs on by hand and just snug the lugs down, then use a torque wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts