Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
have yet again another question for you. My truck has 3800 miles (2001 Ram QC, 5.9) on it and I have noticed as of late that when I am in park and in park only, I hear and "feel" a clunking under the floor boards. It seems like it would be comming from the tranny because when I am in any other gear with the brakes on, it goes away. It seems somewhat sporatic as far as the intervals of the clunking (meaning it doesn't clunk like a lifter would). Any ideas what this could be? From readind around, every time someone takes it to the dealer, they (dealer) says its "normal".
Is it something I need to worry about/get checked? Might it be the belts?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, yet again.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have a 2001 Off Road and I have that same clunking as well. Off an on but definitely noticeable and only in park. I really didn't notice it until after the body lift. But I lifted the truck right after I bought it so wasn't sure if it was there to begin with or modification induced. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
503 Posts
ya know sometimes when i park my 2001 off raod and even get out and walk away i here clunking seems to come from gas tank??is the same clunking your hearing this is even with engine off! i did hear clunking ar rattling in mine the other day with engine on ..but i thought maybe it was my aftermarket exhaust...how does your truck shift into the last gear not overdrive?? i dont care to much for the soft shift mine has

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There's a TSB for this. The shift linkage from the gear selector to the transmission is loose, and will rattle in the Park position at idle.

Pull the gear selector towards you slightly, and it should stop.

Possibly free if under warranty (depends on dealer). Those with lifts may need to "persuade" their dealer to fix it under warranty.

TSB 21-12-00

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/tsb/2000/21-12-00/21-12-00.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts