Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played with now much I can flex my suspension in my yard this morning before work.

Definitely lost the ability to fully stuff a front tire with the new front springs.

However, the back is still stuffing nicely.

So it looks like the front springs are more stiff than the rear now, and while the rear will stuff massively, I only seem to be able to get 4-6" of front travel, mostly droop, not much compression at all.

But then I was also testing it uphill, things could be different when pointed downhill.

Still kept all 4 planted with a front tire 3-4 feet higher than the rest...

·
Registered
969 Posts
What brand are the new coils? why did you replace your old ones?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new coils were made by National Spring.

They are 3" taller than the stock springs, and rated for another 1000s over the stock springs.

Reason being that I wanted to lose the 3" spacers, and needed the stronger springs because of the weight of the Reunel.

The Reunel weighs in at over 300#, and was turning my 3" lift into a 1.5"-2" lift.

I'm currently about 2" taller than when I had the 3" spacer and old springs in.

The rock sliders I got earlier this week are about 120# each, and smoothened the ride out noticeably (to me anyways, GF can't tell difference at all).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just like everything else, it has to break in a little, when i got my pro comp heavy duty coils it was a liitle stiffer and the ride was only a little worse, but 500 miles later couldn't tell except for the height.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Could you have lost some flex now that your frame has some extra support to keep it straight (rocksliders) and keep it from twisting?

Woody I have talked to National Spring and they say they don't make the coil springs they sell...they didn't have the time to give me the whole gist of it but somehow they make only 40% and have the rest sent out.(???? I was wondering if you know anything about this)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah I could see good reason for swapping out the spacers for the coils. Is it true that national spring can make a coil for you personally at almost any length? I saw a Dodge at a show and the owner said they used 11"coils from national springs and 11" leaves for the lift.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I finally ordered my national rear springs and it will come to 600 for the 6" rear lift. That does include bushings ($45) and ubolts ($45). 10" springs = $1000 per pair.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I could give out the name of the a$$lickers that made my coils, but their customer support is poor and after the way I was treated I refuse to give them any buisness.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thats cool, being able to order custom springs and coils for as much lift as you want. Coils and leaves are the primary parts of the lift so all that you would need is a few steering parts.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually didn't order them. I bought them off Mark Flip, who ran them for a few years. He ordred them through Natl Spring, but I don't think they actually made them. But they are made to custom specs.

And I definitely proved this weekend at FR that I lost some flex... :(: But the sliders could have something to do with that. Now I just need lockers, and it won't matter. :):

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You will not be able to run 8" or 10" springs on a 2500 and its probably going to be a similar conflict on the 1500's too. The springs will have so much arch in it that the main leaf will hit the rear shackle, I believe 6" is the most you can go without conflict or a B.D.S. Flip kit or special shackle flip or maybe one of those REVOLVER shackles mights help. If you get the B.D.S. flip kit you wont need new springs, they claim 5" of lift from the new rear shackle and bracket.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Well I talked to National about your problem Biginuf and they said, "Honestly we haven't really worked on too many dodges above 6" rear spring height. I ordered the 6" rears b/c I only want a .5" - 1" rake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts