Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 1994 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT Reg Cab, Long Bed with a auto and a CTD! Outside was in AWESOME Shape, couple scratches on the Tailgate and a dent in the bumper. Interior looked good from outside, no one was around to get up close. The CTD has 220,000 miles on it. Hows that for a desiel? I like everything about this truck(hell its just like mine minus the CTD/Lift) BUT it does have a Snow Plow...Which I beat means it was run hard. What do you think? I plan on going back in the daylight to look at it. If my bank would approve me, I would sell my current Ram.... The KBB Value is just under $9k and he is askin $9,500 w/o plow or $10,500 w/ plow.....

I want yalls honest thoughts!
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
My honest opinion is that I would pass it. I know the Cummins is the defacto cure for everything on the site, but 220,000 miles on any truck is a lot. The motor might be fine, but that's some tired springs and running gear; especially if it's go the plow package. Additionally, when was the transmission rebuilt last?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, I have taken all of this into my mind....The one thing that does come to my mind is everytime it snows here, The Truck disappears, They are out plowing with it...So that tells me it isnt ready to fall apart....

Rick

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
my dad has plowed with his 2001 CTD and he has 120,000 on his truck with no problems. so i think that if the truck looks that good it has not been worked that hard because most work trucks i have seen are beaters inside and out. and as far as the drive line goes again if it was taken care of while being used it should be fine. Dont some CTD's run around 1,000,000 miles?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You could buy it and plow all winter and have some money to put back into it come spring.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly think this truck was garage kept, its that nice. I would not go wild on this truck like I did my current ram, Maybe some 35's and 3" lift...But the Motor would get turned up a bit...

Rick

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
On 2005-12-12 16:59, cummins freak wrote:
Dont some CTD's run around 1,000,000 miles?

Some CTD's do, but not all Dodge Rams do. At some point it becomes more cost prohibitive to keep an older truck running unless it's bringing in profit for you (i.e. why a lot of freight liners run so many miles, which is where a lot of these 1,000,000 mile Cummins stories originate from).

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
i think you could do better than that. the price does not seem too good to me. i don't see that truck being worth twice what mine is just becasue it has a diesel and that truck has 70K more miles. i wouldn't be concerned about the plow though, solid axle, 3/4 ton, regular cab truck should handle that pretty well. i'd look around a bit more.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
On 2005-12-12 17:23, SICNICK wrote:
Good: clean, 12v mechanical ctd :bigthumb: , BAD: tranny, tranny, tranny

:withstupid:

That is what I was thinking... and I have a CTD.

Find out how much it is at the dealer to replace the trans..and find out when that trans was replaced..if it was.

They can do an oil analysis on the trans oil (provided it has not been changed recently) and tell you haw good the trans is a the dealer.

Have the dealer pull the codes and look at the maintenance recipts.

No History and then you have to check all the parts.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would pass, unless it has a bullet proof tranny, snowplow + 47RE= :wall: :wall: Not so hot. If this truck has been a plow truck all it's life then i can promise you that is not the original tranny in it. Find out about the tranny and what size plow is on it?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I beleive it is a 8'....

Rick

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
they want WAY to much for that... hell there was a guy trading in a 99 CTD 4x4 SWB QC Ram, Auto, with 189k miles on it... they only gave the guy 8900 on it for trade at the dealer I was at when we bought Angies Cherokee.

I wouldnt pay anymore than 8k for that truck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
the ppl have spoke..Rick, keep your current truck, you have replaced the motor, trans and corrected so many of the typical dodge issues, you have more money than you will ever get back out..If you buy another and then something goes wrong 6 months down the road you'll wish you had yours still and never invested in yet another USED truck, get your self a jar and start saving your pennies for when you are ready to buy a spankin new one or one with so little miles its dam close to new. i wouldnt touch any truck with that many miles i dont care if it is a CTD, the motor dont make the rest of the truck any better!!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I would pass. I just saw on autotrader a '94 ctd regular cab, long bed, 4x4, 5-sp. with 170k for $5,955. Sure, the outside was missing a few paint spots, but it also came with a ranch-hand (or knockoff) front, rear bumpers and a headache rack. Interior was as clean as a whistle. Now, compare that to the truck you're looking at. There are good deals to be found, you just might have to search a bit more. By the way, this one was in TX. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=192968936&dealer_id=57232370&car_year=1994&model=RAM25002WD&bkms=1134457032175&make2=sel_one&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1981&engine=&certified=&fuel=Diesel&search_type=both&distance=0&make=DODGE&color=&min_price=1&drive=4+wheel+drive&max_mileage=&address=31220&advanced=y&end_year=2006&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=8000&cardist=816. Here's the link to this one, check it out. :bigthumb:

Edit: Oops, my bad. 184k.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i will tell you that my 95 has 128,000 on it, and it is the best truck I have ever had. My dad who has had years and years of fords, dodges, chevys, says its the best truck he has ever drove. Even stock at 160BHP, that thing was a beast, 6 years later over 400hp, and 40s. Great truck. I will have this truck for a millon miles. -Jordan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts