Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a Chrysler 9 1/4 rear axle with the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and 1.625 inch axle shafts. When i jack the back axle off of the ground and i spin one tire the other one spins the same direction, wouldn't that be a Detriot Locker or something similar. Their are no spider gears in it, its a locker case in the diff. But when i went off roading i had the truck in 2wd and i got the left front tire up on a hill.Most of the the pressure then was on the right rear and i kept on the gas to climb the hill and the left rear tire spun. What kind of a locker would this be?

'90 Dakota,custom paint,bumpers,and rock sliders,Dukes of Hazzard Horn. Swapped in 318,T.F.727,NP208, Dana 44 front,9 1/4 rear with Detroit Locker.Dual exaust with Flow Master mufflers,chrome Edelbrock valve covers,Trail Master Invader SS shocks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Does it pop if you make hard turns on pavement??

·
Registered
267 Posts
if i recall correctly the auburn units have a spring/tension plate and no spiders. this may be what your looking at. any lsd will eventually slip under harsh load or at excessive wear. the probability of a ratchet style popping out and not making that grinding noise while trying to fall back in isn't that high, imo. if you can, open 'er up and scan a pick for us to see.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Its not a locker, its a limited slip. It will act like a locker until you exceed the the torque setting of the LSD, then act like an open diff. As you found out, it works until you need it most.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Next time your in that situtation, (one wheel in the air spinnin,) try applying a little brake. Don't stomp it, just light pressure. Sounds funny to apply brakes while climbing (or stuck) but, by doing so, you can fool the LSD into locking up a little harder, and sending juice to the wheel not spinning. I do this with the power-lok I have in the front of my CJ-5.

Troy

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like to go wheeling a lot but I hear mixed stuff about lockers. Is it going to wear on my truck in the long run like people say? I go to the snow a lot too.....Would it be a bad choice for me? My friend has front and rear locker is his 4 runner and I can't tell the difference when driving with him.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Other than a bit of tire wear and the increased possibility of breaking a part, the locker is not an issue. I have not broken anything with my locker. If you are throttle happy on an obstacle, then yes you could break something (since a LSd or open diff would have sent the torque to the free wheel).

On snow it will take some adjustments to how you drive and stuff, but should be managable.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried using the brake and that didn't work. I think it could be that auburn unit that got mud? is talking about. Because we put a limited slip into my dads '88 Dodge Ram 250 and when we jacked the rear axle up in the air the tires turned opposite way.Maybe I could pull off the diff cover this weekend and take some pics and scan them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
btw lsd's need special additive in the for the clutches if some one changed the fluid and didnt add this there is your problem. i like the ford addive but aburn has there own stuff try a blottle of that before terrin it down man that maybe all you need

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My experience with my power-lok is that when one wheel is spun (by hand) the other will turn the opposite direction until a certine speed, then, the rotation will slow, and start turning the same direction as the other wheel.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems to act like a locker on flat grounds when i hit the gas hard.And when i go around a turn and punch it it won't do a one wheel peel.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got the locker to work. I had to use alittle bit of the brakes to engage it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts