Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isnt really that custom but from the accessories folder i was talking about welding tabs for extra lights onto the rollbar. Now I can weld, but as far as blending in the paint with the rollbar i'm a little usure. Any ideas on what to do as far a paint? i dont wanna spend alot, the light bar only costs like $70. I can make the tabs from spare pieces we have in the shop and i can use our welder so the paint will be my only expense.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What color is the bar? If black, then you could probably pick up some higher-grade rattle-can stuff and touch it back up with that.

Are you going for "show quality", or just to hide the welds when you're done?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
dude... just fab somthing like this... this is what I have my lights on my grill gaurd mounted on....

obviously the dimensions are going to be a little different. but this was very easy... but, ya know.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thanks for the diagram Matt.

Woody,
The rollbar is black and I would like to have the welds covered up enough that they dont look obvious when looking closely. Thats why I'm a little unsure of how I can blend the paint with the rest of the rollbar.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Great thing about black is that most shades of black blend in nicely. I'd get a good quality of gloss black spray-pain (rattle-can kind, like rustoleum), and use as little as possible to touch it up.

You have some things going for you.

1) The truck is lifted, so people can't get close

2) black is almost always just black

3) gloss paints tend to match well (at least on model cars).

If it's matte black (dull, not shiny), then you may have a harder time matching the paint.

But you can always spray something else (extra metal, cardboard, etc) and compare the dried finishes to help match the paint.

But if you've got the material, Alpha's suggestion would work better, I think.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah since the truck is lifted you would probably need to climb into the bed to see any trace of the welds. Its not a show truck so if it looks decent then I will be satisfied.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-05-06 19:00, woody wrote:
Great thing about black is that most shades of black blend in nicely. I'd get a good quality of gloss black spray-pain (rattle-can kind, like rustoleum), and use as little as possible to touch it up.

You have some things going for you.

1) The truck is lifted, so people can't get close

2) black is almost always just black

3) gloss paints tend to match well (at least on model cars).

If it's matte black (dull, not shiny), then you may have a harder time matching the paint.

But you can always spray something else (extra metal, cardboard, etc) and compare the dried finishes to help match the paint.

But if you've got the material, Alpha's suggestion would work better, I think.

do say black is always black to a auto body supply shop, he will prove you wrong.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
True, when it comes to matching colors for body-work, forget it.

But accessories that are black are little easier to work with, especially up there.

My truck is about 3 different shades, was 4, but I don't have the plastic front bumper on it any more.

The bumper matches the body very well, and I've got some fading to the body paint that can only be seen around where the sport tags used to be on the hood, as those are a year behind in fading, but the light has to be jsut right.

Black and white are REALLY easy to match compared to red... I wouldn't even think of trying to match reds.

But touching up black is really easy.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the dark color defintely helps blend in any inperfections. I will scrounge around the shop for some metal I can make into some new tabs tommorow. I'm not the best mig welder but I will try to make the welds as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You could always repaint the whole bar with your type of black paint. I repainted my whole bar cause it was faded, so it all matches.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I bought some spray paint from advance auto, pep boys has it too, it comes in a RED can and is called TRUCK AND SUV PAINT, the stuff is about 4 or 5 bucks a can, but it is amazing, I painted my tail lights and the plastic at the bottom of the tail gate 2 years ago, and it looks like new. VERY GOOD STUFF. Blend it right in with this stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
RAM-OUTLAW, I don't know if your area carries this product. they sell it at PEPBOYS, it's made by DUPLICOLOR,"Truck Bed Coating" it's the equivalent to Herculiner, except it comes in a spraycan, it's available in Black,Red,Blue,Grey & White. I used some on the inside of my tailgate, pretty durable. You can make it as thick as you want, just prep real good. GOOD LUCK, Rik

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second that DUPLICOLOR!!!! Autozone has it its about 7 bucks a spray can for the duplicolor truck bedding I just did my new custom pre runner bumper that i ordered from Reaper Racing for my F250 it lays down so nice I love the s*** I have been using it for a long time. Its great stuff..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts