Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how to make it work properly. I have put 2 wires into the plug and ran them to under the dash now where do I hook them up to.I tried the power outlet. But then it stays on. It is supposed to stay on for a couple of seconds after the door is shut. any help?
Later

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
wire it into the dome light hook up... I think thats where you want to go with it.

I found a how-to on this... I will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
got this off Fritz site... thanks to 59fuel...

Instructions

The credit for this info goes to David Dressler. I'm sure there are easier ways, but this is one that works. I hope this helps.

The Halo light use to plug into the Integrated Electric Module (IEM) in the 1999 models. The factory no longer plugs it in for some reason!? If you do plug it in, I am told that it still won't work either. Do you have the clear bezel? Some of the newer Rams now have a black ring so there is no way to even get it to illuminate. I found after opening up the steering column, that the light bulb was still present, just no wiring! The easiest way to reconnect is by running a pair of wires from the Halo light and tapping it into the dome light. I'm sure that DC probably manufactured a million defected IEM's and was to cheap to fix the problem as my wife's Durango has the same problem.

Remove the top cover of the steering column. This is held on by three black torx screws found on the bottom cover (the silver one holds on the bottom cover). Once you pop the cover off it will be very obvious where the halo light lives (right above the ignition switch). The wires run from the lamp itself (a standard #74 if it ever does burn out) down to a four pin connector. Only two wires come out of the connector (the key "sense" circuit). Now extend the unconnected halo wires (black) by either adding the two missing pins to the connector or just splicing into the existing wires (like I did) with about 5-ft of wire. The new wires can be neatly run down the steering column and tie-wrapped so that it looks just like the factory did it. Route the extended wires up to the A-pillar by way of the fuse panel or up the door molding. I actually stick a very heavy gauge wire down through the side of the dash and pull the new wire up with it. Remove the A-pillar cover by just pulling it out enough so that you can work on the wiring harness and feed in the new wires. Unravel the black tape of the wiring harness about half way up the A-pillar. Center splice your extended wires into the pink and yellow wires found in the harness and rewrap the portion of the wiring harness with new electrical tape. Snap the cover back on and the halo light is all ready to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts