Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to get some tips to make installing new front coils on my 99 1/2 ton 4wd easier. What all do I unbolt; the trackbar and sway bar is there any thing else? I am not replacing the control arms yet so would rather not have to remove them. Also do I unbolt these items when the truck is on the ground or after I have it up on jackstands.

any advice would be appreciated
thanks,
Jason Hybiak

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You probably don't need to worry about the track-bar.

Just unbolt the shocks and the sway-bar, and the axle will drop right down without a problem. Did this with my '00, when installing the 3" Rancho spacers.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Pop the hood, take the three bolts loose on the top of the shock tower, take the bolt loose on the botton of the shock, repeat for the other side as well. Take the sway-bar loose from both sides also. Take a jack with a 4x4 or somthing similar and jack up the frame until the coils are loose, insert the spacers and lower the truck back down, making sure the spacers and springs are seated correctly as the truck comes back down. Then drop the shocks back down through the engine bay and down into the coils, bolt the bottom of the shock and then top of the spring tower, then reattach the sway-bar. Note:watch the brakeline length while jacking the truck up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Nothing holds the pring in except the weight of the truck keeping the coil "seated" at the top and botton, and the shock running up through the center of it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
the shocks hold the spring in place and the entire axle for that matter. if the shocks were to be unbolted the whole axle would fall down.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
the axle doesnt just "fall down". i had trouble getting it to go down further with me jumping on it, with the shocks unbolted. the track bar and tie rods and stuff all help hold it up there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Remove the wheels and tires, remove the shocks, remove the three bolts that hold hte shock tower in place, let the axle droop and get your self a good quality spring compressor. If you use the compressor you wont have to remove anything more than what I have told you. Be careful however because those springs can be deadly projectiles!!! Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they are skyjacker 3 inch coils.

thanks everyone for the advice sounds like the front should go pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
ill agree with the axle about not just falling down. i had a hell of a time getting the new coil in there cause i couldnt get the axle down far enough. this is with having the truck on jackstands that were stacked on 2 sets of oak 4x4's. i pulled the axle down as far as it would go and put the spring in and thats after using the spring compressor on it. though having access to a lift would of made things SO much easier.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I would probably also disconnect the trackbar and if you can't get it down still by pushing down with hand...use a bottle jack between frame stop and axle but be careful not to do it too much cause you might tear a component right out (ball joints in draglink)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts