Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay boys. i'm trying to get rid of my factory block and add a leaf and get a little better ride. i like the height i'm at now but i'm not sure what size lift springs and company to order from. this is a pic of what i have now. its the factory 3" wide springs w/ the factory overload and a tuff country AAL. the block is also factory and it measures 4.5".
[img=500x375]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2197000-2197999/2197589_4_full.jpg[/img]

by my calculations that would be 4.5" for the block plus 2.5" for the aal and maybe another 1" for the overload (which i'd like to get rid of too). which would come out to 8". sound right? any input would be great. it's the truck in my sig.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've got a 1500 and I was going to get rid of my stock block too, but I found out that the pad the spring sits on is not flat. It's contoured to fit the block so some fabbing would be necessary. I can't tell if your 2500 is like this.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Holy Sheet,

dude that is not set up correctly at all... all the leaves are supposed to be together, and that tiny block should be stacked (even though bad) on top of factory block. Not in between. Go switch that now....

Brett

·
Registered
783 Posts
:withstupid: I was wondering if I just totally did mine wrong or what cause my block is under the spring. :roll:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't see a problem with that setup...the ends of the overload springs are attached to the main leaves with ubolt type clamps.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
On 2005-12-12 13:12, BKAST wrote:
Holy Sheet,

dude that is not set up correctly at all... all the leaves are supposed to be together, and that tiny block should be stacked (even though bad) on top of factory block. Not in between. Go switch that now....

Brett
:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
You guys are a bunch of retards... leave the man alone.. that is a factory setup with an AAL between the lower pack over load and the first friction spring. This is a correct setup. My dads 01 2500 is exactly the same minus the AAL.

To answer your question...depending on how much lift your AAL gave (assuming 2") + 4.5 = 6.5". Your factory overload should not be yielding any lift whatsoever at unloaded height. It should only touch the end pads on the frame when the truck is loaded. You are perfectly fine doing away with the whole overload pack when you go to new springs, just remember you will not have as much load capacity from your springs. Your spring pads are rounded and when you remove the factory block you will see that it has little edges on the outter corners and the pad on the axle is sort of rounded. This is why lift companies list dodge specific blocks, or just give you blocks to go on the top of the stock blocks. I would go with a 6" full spring pack and weld a 1" piece of flat plate over your rouned pad to make it flat for the springs....this total would yield you back to what you have now for height.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Sheet,

Brett

good grief. i should hope that its not that bad. the dodge engineers can't be that bad. it is like dodgethis says a completely factory setup other than the add a leaf. it's done me good for a few years, i'd just like to replace all the extra crap since i'll need to get new springs soon anyway. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
On 2005-12-12 15:06, dodgethis12 wrote:
You guys are a bunch of retards... leave the man alone.. that is a factory setup with an AAL between the lower pack over load and the first friction spring. This is a correct setup. My dads 01 2500 is exactly the same minus the AAL.

I was fixing to say the same thing. My truck was setup the same way till i lifted it. Back off guys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if you fellas say that is ok than I believe you cause I only have a 1500. However I have never seen a shim that thick or a spacer like that. It just looks like that is set up like a hamburger or something.

Brett

1 - 12 of 12 Posts