Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANYONE HERE IN MICHIGAN KNOW THE LIFT LAWS?? DO THEY ENFORCE THEM?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-24 15:50, RAMRAPTOR wrote:
ANYONE HERE IN MICHIGAN KNOW THE LIFT LAWS?? DO THEY ENFORCE THEM?
MICHIGAN

Lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs, are not allowed. Shackle replacements cannot exceed OE length by more than 2 inches, and ixnay on the coil spring spacers. In terms of acceptable height, less than 4,501 GVWR, and your frame height cannot exceed 24 inches, and the bumper height can't go beyond 26 inches. For GVWR's between 4,501 and 7,500, those numbers are 24 and 28 inches. For 7,501 and 10,000-pound vehicles, keep the height at 26 and 30 inches.

as far as enforcing them? the 3-4 times ive taken my ram with 8" of lift and 36" tires from chicago to kalamazoo/paw-paw/allegan area i havent had a problem yet (knock on wood), and thats even flying past one sitting in the turn around doing close to 80mph on I94.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Wow, sucks to live in michigan. Oregons only law is headlights can't be above 54", and Max Height is 14'6", everything else goes.

Nick.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-24 21:16, Badboy4453 wrote:
Wow, sucks to live in michigan. Oregons only law is headlights can't be above 54", and Max Height is 14'6", everything else goes.

Nick.

HELL you should read indiana's, the bumper can only move 3"s over stock! or worse yet colorado, not lift at all.
in illinois the front has to be 27"/rear is 29"

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok....damn i ordered a 3" body and 5" skyjacker friday along with swampers anyone know the bumper height and frame of height of dodge with this set up.....im in michigan this sucks this set up may be to high for our laws..wonder if they enforce???hmmmmmmmm??? not good

·
Registered
52 Posts
On 2002-02-25 03:54, shawn bentley wrote:
On 2002-02-24 21:16, Badboy4453 wrote:

Nick.

HELL you should read indiana's, the bumper can only move 3"s over stock! or worse yet colorado, not lift at all.
in illinois the front has to be 27"/rear is 29"

I don't think that they actually enforce that in colorado. My friend has a 85 toy 1/2 ton lifted 5" with 3"body lift running 37's and has not had a problem.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Man they don't enforce in colorado worth a $hit...all of my friends in Denver are running around with 35's on their Broncos or Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
California's are pretty relaxed, mainly it's just headlights have to be reasonable. You can easily run 9 inches of total lift here.

Michigan doesn't enforce a d*mn thing when it comes to cars... I grew up there.

I was surprised to see the no coil-spring spacer laws, although you can readily buy them in the state, and most cops won't care. Now, that GVWR, not vehicle weight. GVWR is on the sticker on the inside of the door, upper right corner. You should be able to get into the over 24" category, unless you have the V6.

Also, notice that Hummers don't meet those numbers, from the factory...

Mainly, you're only going to get into trouble if you're doing something stupid. If you've got 10 inches of lift, and are hotdogging it around corners, you'll get hit. If you're smoking 40" tires, they'll pull you.

Mostly, the cops will only get you for lift laws (and similar), if you're annoying them for some reason.

Ever blown by a state cop at 80+mph? Unless you're doing 15mph or higher, you _MIGHT_ get flashed, as a warning to slow down...

But it's the local cops you really need to look for...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
1999 sport 318 auto, 5" skyjacker + 3" body lift, and 36 tsl radials
26.75 to the bottom of the front "bumper"
30.0 to the bottom of the rear bumper.
im legal in the front not in the rear.
another reason why i didnt put 38's on!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey shawn thanks for the info..where ya from?? ever get pulled over for it ??any pics of your truck?

·
Registered
362 Posts
The one thing I have noticed here in Alabama is that when I was 16 I got harassed for everything now that I 26 I dont hear a thing from cops. It all seems to be related to where you are and and what time your there as well as who you are and how you act and what you are doing!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If you are going to put a body lift on, be sure to keep/replace the airdam. That way the "bumper" will still be 3" lower than the actual metal part (which is not much better at taking an impact than the airdam). And if you have Mopar tow hooks, they are bolted to the bumper bracket (well they share the same bolts/holes) and you may be ale to argue that they are the bottom of the bumper.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-26 06:29, RAMRAPTOR wrote:
hey shawn thanks for the info..where ya from?? ever get pulled over for it ??any pics of your truck?

from the 'burbs of chicago, knock on would havent been pulled over yet. i have picks but i have them on a cdr(i wiped my hard drive to get rid of windows me)but i havent looked through the cds to find which one has them. my truck was on summit racings website for a while for their truck fest thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in michigan and I have 2001 2500 with 10 inchs of lift that runs around on 40's and I have been stopped twice by the state boy's they mostly just wanted to check out the truck,,, the only advice that I have is if you get pulled over tell the officer that you are going to open the door so he can see what is going on in the truck,,, this will keep the situation cool

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Open the door since he can't see into when standing on teh ground? :):

Not a bad idea. But I'd always wait until he's standing near the truck, and has started talking to you. Don't need to freak him out any...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just another tip, shut the truck put the key in view of the cop, put your window down, and have your hand on the wheel where he/she can see them. If he/she feels safe then its better for you.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well if you have a truck with ABS you should feel lucky that a state trooper doesn't make you tow your truck home cause ABS trucks IN ANY STATE can't be modified at all. If you keep your truck around the legal height for older rigs than you should be okay cause troopers barely ever enforce the ABS rule. I kept mine at a reasonable height so I won't get hassled. The best thing to do is not bring attention to your truck cause if they are havin a bad day they could hit you with that ABS law.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Well, I know that the laws in Colorado aren't that bad, compared to Indiana, it's 40" up to the headlights, but a little over I'm sure that they won't notice because they're not strict out in the boonies of Colorado anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If lifts aren't legal in Colorado, they don't enforce the laws. I drive my truck

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.pavementsucks.com/gallery/viewride.cgi?ride_id=189" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->
into Boulder, Colorado to school everyday and have never had a problem. I've even had cops tell me it looked good. Also, there are tons of people in Colorado with lifted and modified 4x4's.
<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.colorado4x4.org" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->
So maybe they don't enforce the laws at all, or maybe the laws don't exist. I've got 35" tires, so I'm sure the headlights are over 40" above the ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts