Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if I but a Tuff Country 2" leveling kit on my ram 1500 4x4 if I'll be able to fit a set of 16X8 wheels with BFG All Terrain 295/75/16?
Mont

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On BFG website they got a list of the tires they make the 295 overall diameter is 33.5 and 11.6 wide on an 8. The 285 is 32.9 and 11.3 I think this set up will work for this tire. Not sure though.Just trying to get a little bit more tire under there.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
are the wheels OEM or aftermarket? if you're worried about the problems of rubbing, you'll want to get a wheel with more positive offset (more towards the outside)...the leveling kit will level the front with the rear and also accomodate a bigger tire, but the 295's are equivalent to a 33" tire, so you may want to go with a 3" suspension lift???...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looking to get mickey thompson Challenger II wheels 16 X 8. Don't got the money for the lift yet. I planning on gettin a 5" lift so I can get a set of 36's but that will be at least a year away.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
TUNIS pretty much answered your question but just curious, what size tires do you have on it now? i have a 99 1500 4X4 and i'm running 285/75/16's and have had no problems yet. i added the daystar spacers, but just to level the truck out not because it needed it. i've had it offroad and the only rubbing i get is at extreme turns on the control arms...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a set of 265/75/16 on stock rims.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I give the leveling kit a try. Any body ever put on the Tuff Country 2" leveling kit? Doesn't sound too hard.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
295's on stock wheels will definately rub the lower control arms at full steering wheel lock...you will be adding a taller and wider tire to a wheel that is already tucked in behind the fenders pretty good...if you're going to buy tires, you should get the wheels at the same time...you may find a good combo deal??? good luck... :D:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put a set of 285/75/16's on last fall, the jump up from the stock 265's and there is no problem. My buddy was running 33's with no lift, but wider wheels.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It would offer a much better ride off road, but think about street driving. You don't want the too cramed. Get 265/75/r16. Ask Rawkon how those tires are working, but I think thats your best option.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My truck is a 2wd and im pretty much the same size as a stock 4x4. im pretty sure he could go bigger then 31's with a leveling kit.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
yeah i dont know when but asap sounds good.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Give me a call, (562)233-4968 before 12, or after 3, or just let me know on this website when. Oh, and let me know about Azusa Canyon. I'll pay for James's truck to go in if he wants, and I'll take video. All I ask in return is a ride in his truck there. Not to there, just at there. How's that??

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Thats up to James.
But heres a pic of my leveling kit on my 2wd

·
Registered
537 Posts
Alrighty. Two things, first, Kevin, I keep forgetting how sweet your truck looks with those spacers, and second, what do you think James, is this a good plan???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already got 31's on my truck. I want to get 33's but I don't want them to rub. So I figure a suspesion leveling kit will do the job. I buying a wheels and tires and I'm getting a great deal cause I know a guy who owns a tire shop and I'm getting at his cost, just don't want em to rub.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just got new 285 BFG AT KOs and 16x8 American Racing Bajas with 4.5 inches of backspacing. The tires stick out very slightly in the front but my truck rides much better with the 285s mounted on the correct width rims. The ride was pretty rough with 285s mounted on the stock 16x7 wheels. My tires no longer rub on the control arms but I'm going to install daystars or off-road springs to give me the proper clearance between the tires and the fender liner. On tight, angled left hand turns the tire lightly rubs the rear of the front inner fender(plastic). I have not heard anything bad about daystars except that offroad package trucks need new shocks. On the other Fritz's board, I think someone called snowram said that he broke a set of tuff country spacers but I don't remember how. As soon as I sell my stock 16x7 alloys, I'm going to buy daystars or offroad springs. I would like to see a side profile shot of a non-offroad package 4x4 Ram 1500 with either 2 inch tuff countrys or the daystars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
surfram I wonder how much of difference the 295's I want are going to be. I trying to find a good place to find the 2 inch tuffcountry. Any ideas? The guy at the shop near me wanted 450 installed. I've seen em for 130 without the shock and 190 with. Doesn't look that hard to install. I think I'm going to give a shot doing it myself. I'll get ya a picture as soon as I get it done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts