Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have sworn that I have seen on this board people saying that there is a leveling coil for the half tons, however I just called skyjacker and they told me that the only coils they have for the half tons is the 3" and the 5" coils, no 2". Does anyone know of another company that sells 2" leveling coils or do I have to go with spacers in order to level the front.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question, If no one knows of a 2" leveling coil, would putting a 3" coil on the front put the nose a lot higher than the back and look funny or would it just slightly be nose high.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When I helped Justin with his lift, after putting in the Rancho 3" spacer, he was 1/2" taller in the front, going by the top of the fender over the center of the tire.

Couldn't hardly tell without measuring.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woody, thanks that was exactly what I wanted to hear although I think I will measure the difference between the wheel wells before I order them just to make sure. I would put the 2500 springs on but that would make it one rough ridin' SOB.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The 2500 V8 springs should be just as soft as the stock springs, just taller.

The V10 and Cummins springs are stiffer, as are the snow-plow-prep package springs, and the stiffest are the Off-road package springs for the 1500, but they are only a 1-2" lift.

You could get a more lift than an off-road, and have less harsh of a ride with the Diesel springs, but they are definitely going to be a firm spring.

And you'll have to replace the shocks no matter what you do. First, they may not be long enough, and second, they're almost too soft for the stock springs, let alone a spring that's stiffer (big compressions on the highway will cause the truck to "bounce" up/down real slow. Not tires of the ground, but it'll make you sea-sick.

I had my RS9000s set too soft when I first put my heavier springs in. BAD idea. moved em up a notch and it doesn't do it so much now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have 2" spacers on my truck, it is a 2500, and it rides nice. Daystar and Tuff Country both make 2" spacers, I would think if you went with a 3" spacer, you could just put add a leafs in the rear, I was thinking about doing that, now I wish I would have!

·
Registered
807 Posts
the off-road springs will give you 1 inch of lift. maybe a little more from the 2500 springs. i doudt the offroad springs are stiffer than the deisel springs, but im not sure about that. the deisel weighs alot more so it would need stiffer springs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I measured the wheel well gaps on my truck, front=7.5" back=10.25". So I am thinking I could put the 3" coils from skyjackers kit on and new shocks and that will pretty much level out the truck with the exception that the front theoretically should only be 1/4" taller than the back (not noticeable). So then I am thinking that I could probably fit 315's with an 8" wheel and at least 4.5" of backset without lifting the back at all. Does any of this make sense or is it too early on a Sunday morning to thinking this much. Will this work?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Installed the Tuff Country 2" Coil spacers on the Ram... looks a lot better! I got sick of my Ram lookin' nose heavy!

before....

after....

Still might add the 1" to the back because it almost is higher in the front now.... think I should, or leave it?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yeah, maybe another 1" add-a-leaf, or a little bit bigger block would do the trick, it is a little lower, but hardly noticeable. My truck is higher in the front too buy just a little I think, but it's hard to tell about 98% of the time.

NIck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Put in a skyjacker 3 in class I lift. I Love mine. 315/75r16 tires will fit on it with 16x8 wheels (16x10 rubbed)with at least 4.5 in of backspacing

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Superlift has 2.5" lift coils for the 1/2 ton ram. Rockey Mountain Susp carries them.

·
Registered
807 Posts
with the 2 inch daystar spacers in my truck its still 1 inch taller in rear. im thinking about putting an add-a-leaf on as well. it sags alot when im hauling stuff.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Canyonero,

On another list (before these forums came to be), we compiled a list of the spring-rates for all the coils from Dodge.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/springs.htm

I had the 019 and 020 on my 1500 reg cab. And I think the 047 and 048 are the snow-plow prep springs, or 3500 Cummins springs.

But basically, the Off-road springs are half again as stiff as the stock ones.

I guess I'm currently running equivalents to the off-road springs for rating, but 3" taller, so the rates may be different.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
canyonero02, would a stiffer overload spring in the rear take care of your sagging problem without lifting the rear back to the stock look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts