Off Road Vehicles banner

Let the turd polishing begin!

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  JasonB 
#1 ·
Brakes and rotors needed to be replaced. Getting chatter in the rotor as well. Common problem is the Teves style calipers that allow too much flex and then the rotor warps.

So I'm converting the Cherokee to the Akebono style calipers up front which have a better design and while I'm at it, changing to slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads on all four corners. It's an inexpensive upgrade so what the hell.

Nothing like adding nice parts to a D30 and a D35!

I'm contemplating a 4.5 long arm lift and that would mean upgrading gears and probably lockers in those axles as well. I'd like to swap in some D44s but that isn't feasible (can't fab at my new place) and I can't afford to order aftermarket replacements.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
for $11k I can get brand new, loaded axles D60's for it (gears, ARBs, 35 spline chromo, ARB covers, all mounts for WJ, etc) and that is not a bad price. The base front axle is $1700 (with WJ mounts) which is still a good deal. All the other upgrades add up.

Plus I'm looking at a 4.5" or 6.5" long arm kit and center skid ($3k for all that)

But all that cool stuff should mean bumpers, relocated gas tank, etc. So its all going to be a long time.... if ever

#9 ·
yeah, but i did the build it in stages thing with the dodge. that gets expensive once it gets to where i really want it.

though i can do the long arm lift and just run the D30/D35 and see how long they last. but i dont want to spend money on gears and lockers on them. but i did make the 44 survive under the dodge with 37's and locker

#10 ·
All installed and broken in yesterday. Straightforward installation.

Rear was simple as I didn't change the calipers. I'm not sure if I need to replace the e-brake shoes or not, I need to see what a new set looks like to be sure. One thing to note is that the wire spring that that came with the kit rubs on the rotor hub and makes a terrible noise. I swapped the stock one back in place (it's still tight) and it does not rub the hub.

The fronts were pretty simple too, nice that the same hardware is used for the two caliper bracket styles, so converting from Teves to Akebono style was simple.

My pressure bleeder broke though so I couldn't totally flush the old fluid out. I had my 9 year old helping me with the bleeding and she couldn't do it long enough to get it all flushed.

They are a little louder when braking but that is expected. But no more chatter and I won't be getting the brake fade coming down the mountains anymore.

#12 ·
I read the title and thought of (Steve wasn't it?) and laffed my ass off. Used the same phrase a week or so ago in a rant when some young buck took me to task on the longevity of a 9.25/D-44 combo running 37's...
Sorry for the thread 'jack, I'll slink off quietly now.

#13 ·
LOL. yeah it was Steve I think. My old truck is still running that setup. I had to replace the front housing because the tweaked the balljoint holes but other than that it held up to all the abuse.

At least I haven't heard of him breaking the front end yet. other parts, sure, but the front end

#14 ·
He blew the crap out of that D-44....blew off one of the C's! I still have the 4:10 carrier and lock rite I bought off of him from that diff. Ran the lockrite for a short while but it got noisy. Took it out and found one of the end caps was cracked and two of the lock pins were broken. I'm sure the stress from his last explosion started it. Someday I'll put it back together. :). My hope is to retire to Arizona, buy a Cherokee, and tear it up. We miss the desert!

#15 ·
I just bought the same exact vehicle, and returned here to search some forums for some answers. Bone stock also and already bought a 2" inch and some wimping 31s!

Reactions: JasonB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.