Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, we've been over this before, and my father had his replaced in his 96 Diesel, but hopefully my problem isn't the same as his.
I have a leak up front. I beleive it is in the steering box. It is at the end of the shaft coming out of my firewall for the steering wheel. I only see the beginning of a drip at the end of it (it is always moist) and there is evidence that it has been leaking, or dripping, for some time because the arm below has oily residue on it. I'll take some digital pics and add them on it to show exactly, but I need to know how important this is and can I let it go till I get some $$$ back from taxes to fix it. I noticed any problems w/ steering, but I'm sure it is around the corner. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
well if you take it to the dealer they will more than likely tell you that its normal, and thats the way dodge wanted it to be. (dont laugh i had napleton dodge tell me that, and midlothian dodge tell me there is nothing wrong with it!!). i had taken it in about a year ago for the leaking steering gear box before i put my lift on. if you can get the seal from dodge its easy enough to replace. make sure your front wheels are point straight ahead. remove your pitman arm, next remove the 4 bolts that you see on the top of the steering gear box. then you should be able to pull the sector shaft and the cover straight out.(i guess i forgot to mention to drain the power steering fluid!) youll be able to get to the seal now. pull it out and replace it , reinstall the sector shaft and cover in the opposite order, install the pitman arm, and refill. when i replaced my steering gearbox, i got bored and took apart and reassembled the old one!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Here you go. I enhanced the picture as much as i could

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-05 18:36, Rawkon wrote:
Here you go. I enhanced the picture as much as i could

yeah dude that was the same thing i had. normal according to 2 dealers, i guess they are supposed to leak like that from the factory, atleast according to the dealer!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, sweet, project for this weekend. Should I put some more power steering fluid in in the meantime, or should it be okay? And this should be too much of a b--ch should it?
Oh yeah, thanks for putting the photo up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts