Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak where the pitman arm conects to the steering gear box, I'm sure I need to replace the lower seal but my haynes repair book does not have the exploded view- or any view. is it a pain to replace, does the whole shaft have to come out or just pull the pitman and undo the snap ring and it comes right out? or just replace the whole box? its a stock 97 1500 dodge ram, 4x4 the leak is from the shaft the pitman is on,,. thanks

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Easy job. Pull the pitman arm, take outa snap ring. Start the truck with a catch pan underneath and turn the wheel til it hits the locks and it will blow the seals out. Reassemble and fill up with fuild. In the seal kit i get it has the order the seals go in on a small peice of paper.

Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the reply, I'll give that a try. The truck is a stock daily driver 97 with 68,000 miles, drive 2 miles to work but it is twisty turny road, low speed, but the truck is paid for and just trying to keep it in good shape. the only other thing is the clearcoat is coming off, Ill post that in dodge forum. thanks again, jeff

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
hopefully you can actually get the pitman arm off....mine has been twarting me for weeks!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
swirvin21 said:
hopefully you can actually get the pitman arm off....mine has been twarting me for weeks!!!!
soak with penetrating oil
come back in 3 days and soak it again
after 3 more days, apply pitman arm puller
tension puller
using two hammers, smack pitman arm on opposite sides at splines (to minimize damaging seals and bearings)
tension puller
smack again
repeat

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, no go. I actually bent a new pitman puller (not a cheap import but made in usa) a new one will be in tommarow. can I use some heat on it? just to warm it till its hot to touch? not to cook it. I have sprayed pb on it, used a pry bar with pipe, when it started getting easy I noticed the arms bending. it was also grinding it to the pitman arm shaft, I may have to put a nickle on it and grease. I'm thinking heat, tension, hammer, tension, hammer, maybe a little more heat. any thoughts? jeff

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Tension, hammer on the arm at the splines, tension, repeat...

It will come free. hit up your local parts house that rents tools...they are usually decent stuff there.

Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all, it has ben replaced. broke 2 new usa made pullers, went to autozone and they loan the tools- $90 deposite, but it is returned when you bring back the tools, nice loaner program. got the heavy duty puller with bolts to hold the arms, the one that you hit the puller with the hammer. I had beat on the normal pitman pullers for 2 days and the drip went from once every hour to every min. with the loaner puller it popped right off- took longer to set up than to pop it. I decided to replace the box with a remanufactured unit because I might have messed up the bearings and I needed the truck back together now, the new box turns so much better almost like the front end is on ice. Only thing now is the steering wheel is off just a little. the steering shaft at the box has a flat spot on the coupler, is that adjustable, or just the drag link- it has a adjustable middle? thanks again for all the help and words of advice

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I finally got mine done as well. Ended up pulling the box and taking it to a local shop and giving the mech $20....

Installed a new Borgeson 3rd gen box and Borgeson shaft. Thing drives like a sports can now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easy job. Pull the pitman arm, take outa snap ring. Start the truck with a catch pan underneath and turn the wheel til it hits the locks and it will blow the seals out. Reassemble and fill up with fuild. In the seal kit i get it has the order the seals go in on a small peice of paper.

Rick

Rick
So my husband did this in my jeep but the seals keep popping back off.. he's beyond frustrated. Any advice? Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts