Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually the last year for the solid axle was 1985 for 4x4 Toyota vehicles. The 1986 model year saw the intro of IFS to "comfort" the consumers butt and allow for a better ride and handling. Though the few of us who use our trucks for serious wheeling, the IFS doesn't provide the strength nor the flexibility a solid axle provides. You can convert a IFS truck/4Runner to solid axle, the cost is around $4000 and this includes the bone yard axle. The work is extensive and really does pay for itself.
LUV24BY

·
Registered
83 Posts
i do these conversions for like 2800 bucks myself.did a whack of them a few years ago but none lately.anyway the straight axle was stopped in north america in 85 but was still in south america and those little foreign countries for years after that.

i believe they stopped them totally in 92-93 but i could be wrong.definately way after 85.

btw fellas did you know toyota made a v-8 hemi motor?

just a little trivia for you yota fellas.the first 1 with the correct model toyota and the correct cubic inch displacement should be titled WILD RICE!!

ANY TAKERS?????????????

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yes - your correct to say out of North America still had solid axles. I was speaking from the local continental aspect.

As for your question, I believe the answer to be Ivan Stewarts Baja truck and I think the dispelacement was around 280 (give or take 20)

Close?!
John

·
Registered
83 Posts
nope!this motor is NOT race motor but an everyday engine that see lots of use in cars.

i know the motor your talking about and yes that is sort of a hemispherical motor

the answer is....

they made a 305 cubic inch hemi motor in a toyota limosene called a century.

the cool thing is its basically a bolt in if you use the motor and trans from the century.

the bad thing is you have to use a automatic trans with the motor as there wasnt any stick available for the limo.

the year was about 85-92 but maybe other years.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! That's something I will have to notate for furture reference! Where was this Century sold?!
John

·
Registered
83 Posts
im not sure the century ever made it here to the mainland but if interested in 1 contact a japanese engine importer and im sure they can get 1.

they arereally an awsome looking engine and i believe they make 250-300 horse stock

·
Registered
721 Posts
weren't there some 4runners made after 85 with solid axles for US sale...
a guy i know has one thats newer than 85, was sold in the US, and has a stock sfa...

toyota made solid axles an option in some european countries as late as 92 i think...

·
Registered
83 Posts
your buddy probably got an imported model from japan and had it shipped over.

you couldnt buy them new as they didnt have north american emission specs but after a while im sure you could get anything with the price is right.

he(or someone)woyuld have to bring them up to their state emissions to be able to plate them unless they were propane or maybe diesel.

·
Registered
721 Posts
as far as i know its either a 22re or a turbo and its registered but i dont think there was emissions work done...
but this is maine we dont have much for emissions except we're sposed to have cats on anything past 83 and i dont even run one of them on my 85...

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
I guy that lives a couple blocks away from me has a regular cab toyota 4x4 that's the 89-95 model. It has V8 stamped in the spot that ussually says V6. I've always wondered about that, because I didn't know toyotas had V8's... is he just jerking people around, or is that possible. The sticker sure looks like it was from the factory, and the truck looks stock besides bfg mudders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts