Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2001 ram 1500 slt with the 360 and 4 wheel drive. after having it for a week i noticed a tapping,knocking sound after it is warmed up it dosnt stop till your going over 50mph. brought it in they said it was the torque converter and pump they replaced it when i picked it up the noise was still there. they said it may need to break in and to drive it for 3,000 miles and see if it gets better or worse. im at 1500 miles and still making noise any ideas. they said that the tech guys never heard of this.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Is the sounds constant or does it vary with speed or engine RPM? Where does it sound like it is coming from? Is it a low pitch or higher pitch sound?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as the rpms increase the knocking is faster as well i thought it was the lifters myself and at first so did the mechanics but after listing to the motor with the hood up they said it wasnt.the funny thing is when the windows are down you dont hear it. other than this it runs like a charm but i didnt spend $25,000 to hear a vehicle knock if i wanted those sounds i would of gotten a diesel. this will be there third attempt when i bring it back then i think ill try my luck with another service shop.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
How about a bad cat. converter or the hanger bearing on the rear driveshaft, it only does it when your rolling right?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Whatever place your taking it to, it sucks! I'm in school right now to be a technician and one thing I know is that your not supposed to find the problem by replacing random parts. A good technician should be able to find the problem first without spending your money on other parts.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Not to "knock"(PUN) anyone here that is a Dodge Certified Technician but, There seems to be a common theme among most of our problems, Dodge Mech's. I personally have heard them say stupid stuff and ive heard from you guys about the stupid stuff they say....Where do they find these guys?????

·
Registered
46 Posts
My fathers truck did the same thing sometimes, he has a 2000 1/2ton 4x4, shortbed 360 and it would knock and ping when loaded in a hill. they replacesd the spark plugs and it helped a little bit, and probally replacement of the plug wires with some quality 8mm or so wires would help also. But the thing that really made the difference is we stopped running reformulated gas in it, and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
hey whats that lemon law
they cant fix it the third time or somethin?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rawkon,

try this link and see if it helps you.
http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/callaw.htm

Jet Stage II chip
Custom FlowMaster Exhaust
Mopar Performance Roller Rockers
TransGo Shift kit w/ Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Monster Stereo System

1 - 10 of 10 Posts