Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my fifth trip to the dealership they finally got rid of my knocking sound. they replaced the lifters which i told them on the first trip that was the poblem. well at least it is fixed and it was under warranty.though sometimes i wonder where they get these mechanics from.now i need to make some mods. any suggestions on what i should do first its a 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 360 4x4.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yea, my sugestion is do everything you possibly can to it, within good taste!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2001 Ram also and I have a knocking sound when I first crank up my truck and the engine is cold. It only seems to do it when it's idling. Is this what yours was doing? If so I need to hurry up and get it fixed because my warranty is almost up. If not, any ideas what that knocking sound could be on mine?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Rambrdr I'll leave you alone on your last comment. WOW. Anyone with knocking, see if it is the Intake Plenum Gasket, if the gasket goes bad, you will have a spark knock. To check it, take the air box off the motor and look down the baffles and look for oil in the throttle body.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I can figure out if a knock is coming from my suspension or my engine. the dead give-a-way is that its knocking when im SITTING STILL. Big: i cant look down there because of my intake configuration. its similar to the mustang 5.0 intakes. just cant see much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is coming from the bottom of my engine it sounds like. I don't think it's that gasket like someone said. I heard it could be my torque converter making these noises. Has anybody out there experienced this? Again, it only seems to do it when I'm idling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my knocking sound was constant warm,cold when you got up to 55-60 mph you couldnt here it anymore not sure if it was the lifters or intake gasket seeing they replaced both. as far as where the noise was comming from it was hard to detect.they also replaced touqe converter a few weeks ago because they thought the noise was comming from there and they have had problems with it.my tourqe converter to me seems loud when idleing does everyone have a little noise comming from that area?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a"klunking" in the engine only when at idle and only when in park. I posted this question a few days ago and got some good info from someone.
There is a TSB out that addresses this issue and the TSB# is 21-12-00. It talks about the noises comming from the engine and it simply states that the transmission shift linkage needs to be replaced. I have an appointment on Monday and I will see what they tell me. I did in fact verify it with the dealer and they said it is a "free" fix.
Maybe this might help some of you out there.

I also hear a slight "ticking" from the engine area. Haven't really looked too deep into that one yet, although I may have to now. I also have a 2001 QC, 4x4 360 with only 4000 miles on it. I will have to see if I can get the truck to duplicate the noises at the dealer. We all know how that goes, right?

Anyways, hope this helps...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've already had the transmission linkage replaced or the part that they replace on it according to that report. It didn't do anything for my noise. Just to let you know. I think that's what the technicians at the dealerships think everyone's problem is since its an easy fix and it has been written up on a report by Dodge already. They don't want to fix anything major your first time in there. My question is if it is my torque converter making noises is that normal?

·
Registered
100 Posts
On 2002-03-15 12:35, Airborne wrote:
I have a"klunking" in the engine only when at idle and only when in park. I posted this question a few days ago and got some good info from someone.
There is a TSB out that addresses this issue and the TSB# is 21-12-00. It talks about the noises comming from the engine and it simply states that the transmission shift linkage needs to be replaced. I have an appointment on Monday and I will see what they tell me. I did in fact verify it with the dealer and they said it is a "free" fix.
Maybe this might help some of you out there.

I also hear a slight "ticking" from the engine area. Haven't really looked too deep into that one yet, although I may have to now. I also have a 2001 QC, 4x4 360 with only 4000 miles on it. I will have to see if I can get the truck to duplicate the noises at the dealer. We all know how that goes, right?

Anyways, hope this helps...
i have a 98 ram 4x4 with the 360 and my dealership tells me it propably is my injectors? does this sound right to anybody?? you can only hear it at idle even in gear,so i don't know for sure..also they said its normal for the rams,but we all know how that goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts