Off Road Vehicles banner

K&N air filters

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  NJBT4.56 
#1 ·
worth the money or all hype?anyone get any proven horsepower gains with one?

#8 ·
Even if the horsepower isn't as much as you want, its still a good investment. Getting airflow into the engine is just as important as getting it out. One way to help unlock robbed horsepower is better air filtration. Overall its a good investment.

#9 ·
I have also been checking around for a moderatly priced intake "system". I have found them to be somewhat pricey. About $250 of a K&N, sound about right? WHat is everyone else running out there and what were some of the deals you all got? I am not brand specific, just want a good free flowing intake system for a bit less than an entire exhaust system...seems kind of like a rip off from that aspect, huh?

#10 ·
I just use a drop in replacement air filter from K&N
If you put a intake system on and you do lots of offroading you have to make sure you have that filter covered properlly or else it will need to be cleaned all the time.

#11 ·
Oh and one greatthing about K&N is that if you filter ever gets damaged or its so dirty you cant even clean it. Just call K&N tell them whats wrong with your filter and they send you a new one free in a couple days.

#13 ·
I have the K@N cold air intake on my truck and do lots of off roading, mud, water, sand, and I never have a problem with the filter cause it is not enclosed. It is pricy but like i said before good air intake is critical to unlocking horsepower to your engine.

#14 ·
I just put a Gen II FIPK in my truck and noticed a difference over the drop in K&N. They are pricey but i feel worth the money in added pick-up and Go. Going to see how the MPG does, keep you ppl posted. One thing i would like to get is a pre filter cause this is an open filter.

#16 ·
not only are they nice for performance wise, they are fire proof to some extent too
trust me my carb backfired one day and started mine on fire and she just burned for a little bit while i jumped out and smothered it with a towel, i just had to reoil it and it was good to go

#17 ·
i beg to differ about the fire proof comment. i had a valve cover breather catch on fire and melt after getting wedged between the header and the inner fender on my charger. had to buy a new one, and it wasnt a k&n this time. they dont fit right in the valve covers.

but with the drop in filters, i have destroyed 2 with my truck already and they just send me a new one. they stand behind it.

#18 ·
I notice such a power increase running my K&N that its just crazy. With my open exhaust, It revs up a crapload quicker, idles smoother, and it whistles like a mofo when you gun it. I decided to go for the classic look and went with the K&N 2 1/2" tall 14" round chrome air cleaner kit, and bought a carburetor stud kit, bent it a little, and it fit perfectly. It gave more power than the tube style intakes because the air just goes right in, no funky tubes to go through. Plus side also was the cost, less than 90 bucks and it looks cool too. If I had a digital camera, I would post pics, but I cant. I might try to scan some regular pics tho. I say definately buy the K&N, and when you get your exhaust is when you notice alot of power increase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.