Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was kinda drunkenly delirious last night and was riding around the campus crawling over all kinds of s***. i almost never use 4-low (not many rocks around me) but last night i did for the hell of it. for some reason it feels like i have a locker of some sort in the rear and the front feels like it disconnects or something when turning fairly sharply. is it possible i've got lsd front and rear. i'm the second owner of the truck and not sure what 1st owner may have done. how can i find out w/out actually going into the carrier. any tricks ya'll know of to determine. i was also pleasantly surprise w/the way the truck crawls. the chicks that were "riding" w/ me were amazed at the s*** i drove over. now i understand why people go play in the rocks.
troy

·
Registered
962 Posts
Put the truck on jackstands drop it to 4 lo, put a guy on each wheel and see if it it can be turned two different directions.

DON'T 4x4 DRUNK.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was amazed with the extra power on my buddies 4x4 ram. He was trying to back up a step sandy hill and just kept spinnin em in 4HI, but once he threw it into 4LO, it effortlessly went up the hill! Maybe its just all the extra power you have in 4LO.

Along with not wheelin drunk, dont drive drunk, its not worth it.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
4lo gives you extra gear torque so you dont have to use your motor torque. using the motor can over power the tires and thats what makes them spin. using the gears allows you more control, along with greater torque should you need to floor it :):

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Driving in 4LO on dry ground? That is why yo feel like the front end is locked. Lucky you didn't break anything.

Oh yeah, driving drunk is not cool.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah 4LO is for low rpm crawling. You don't need to give much gas in 4LO and thats why it crawls good. Actually if you floor it in 4Lo it will spin the tires much easier than high range cause it doesn't take long for the engine to tach, and when it tachs...it screams!

·
Registered
777 Posts
My truck in 4lo isnt quite as low as I want it to be, but I know my friends truck with a manual, when you put it in 4lo, in first gear it has so much torque it almost moves in slow spurts, I think what you are describing is normal??? let me know what ya find.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just for the record i wasn't drunk. i was delirious from being up for 2 days with little to no sleep and then playing baseball for 8 hrs straight in 85 degree weather with 98% humidity. i'm not stupid enough to drive or wheel drunk but i did not know that using 4 low on dry ground could risk breaking something. my toyota never felt like that in 4low but i assumed it had to do w/ the ifs rather than a locker or something.
thanks anyway,
sincere apologies for implying i would wheel in a drunken state, i was just crawling for s***s and giggles

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
To check the rear axle, jack it up enough to clear the wheel,tranny in neutral,spin one wheel. If there's a locker in it, the other wheel will spin the same direction.
If a LSD is it, the other wheel will spin in the oposite direction (like an open) to a certain point, then slow, stop, and start spinning the other way, (opposite the way your spinning it).
You can test the front the same way.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I am not as think as you drunk I am. hick-up
8^)

Just a joke I was parked in my front yard working on my ruck. Hick-up

2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Excab, with a 318, 3" PA body lift, 2" daystar spacers, 35X12.5 MTs on chrome wagon wheel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts