Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got a question for ya... the Cummins motor is one tough monkey with $hit loads of torque, what I am wondering is, there is commercial trucks that run the Cummins mated with autos correct? would any off brand tranny bolt up to the cummins in our dodges? would a commercial grade tranny even work in our Rams? Just currious, anyone know?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you run a tranny temp gauge, and don't modify the Cummins, then you'll be fine with the 47RE that it comes with.

However, if you plan on modifying the Cummins up into the 600+ torque range, start planning your tranny rebuild in advance.

You _could_ put an Allison is behind it, but for that kind of money, you should have bought the HO with the 6-speed.

We're talking serious money to change to another kind of Auto trans...

·
Registered
969 Posts
We have a 99 cummins with the auto that was donated to us cause the tranny was junk. If it is a stock engine it should hold up, but I think most people like the manual better.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Allison's really aren't that much money, but they are a GREAT transmission. I had one come into work yesterday backing a 425 cat (for those of you that may not know a 425 cat is a BIG power diesel).

As for the swap to a manual... it'd be ALOT less headache and probably end up being cheaper to get an allison.

-Chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
I believe that Cummins makes an adapter to go to the 480LE(I think this right)chevy tranny, but beyond that you may need a differentr computer to get it to work--I do know a guy who mated one up to his Cummins powered Hummer in Texas--but it weren't a cheap conversion, but i don't remember exact figures---or you can talk to the guys at http://www.dieseltrans.com ,,,chris

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have to agree with just about every comment so far, there are other trannys and adapters for this and that and they're all good don't get me wrong. But, coming from a "tranny family" I'll also tell you that if you take care of your trans it'll last you. You may not believe this but, I've seen a cummins auto 2wd dually with over 900,00 miles on it and it was only on it's second trans. The only cummins autos we see at the shop have about 130-140k miles on them and they're work trucks.

The number 1 killer of transmissions is neglect. Spend a little cash on a good trans cooler, put the deep pan with cooling fins, change the fluid regularly and always keep an eye on it and you'll be ok. Also, there is a check ball on one of the cooler lines designed to prevent dirt and sludge from getting back into the tranny...I'm sure it looked good on paper when they designed it but if it gets a little sludge in it, it starves the tranny for fluid so anytime we build a one we remove that check ball. And if you're wheelin it and get stuck...DON'T rock it back and forth! I've seen many a tranny die that way.

·
Registered
464 Posts
the 4L80E isn't a bad tranny behind a gasser... but I doubt it'll handle the torque of a Diesel very well over time.

And to answer the question of if any commerical trucks come with the Cummins and a automatic... YES they do. I work for I-10 International here in phoenix and work on these rigs everyday. As a matter of fact I put a Allison 525 back in behind a 425 Catapiller tonight before I left. If the 525 can handle a 425 Cat it can handle ANYTHING a Cummins can throw at it. Plus the Allison 525 isn't any bigger than the automatic you have now. Its really not. Pan is a little deeper because the torque converter is massive.

And yes, Cummins has an adapter from teh 525 to their engines because Cummins and Allison are the same company. They're actually the same family that started two companies that merged.

-Chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
79W-150...that's good info---a lot of my friends use their trucks for drag racing and for sled pulls-me included--how do you think that Allison tranny will handle both or would it just be good for the sled pulls??? chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
DieselHrs---the check ball is located on the cooler--if you follow the cooler line up to the cooler it's the brass fitting that's attached directly to the cooler--- http://www.dieseltrans.com makes a stainless steel replacement hose that eliminates the check ball, for the cooler lines that have a temp port in them--not sure they will work on the OEM lines---you'll need to call them to be sure---chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Allison transmission is way way way more tranny than that ISB Cummins could ever use.. it'll hold up. Hell like I said I put one behind a 425 Cat, and thats ahi power diesel.

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
how is the gear spread compared to the stock tranny. i wish i could have my gears wider. gophers chevy does like 2500 rpm at like 90-95 mph. i wish i could get my truck to spin that low, but still have the gears in the low end too. doesnt dodge have plans for a 5 or 6 speed auto soon?

·
Registered
464 Posts
5 or 6 speed auto's I don't know. I believe the 525 allison is a 5 speed auto tho, but its by made by dodge.

As far as the gearing spread goes I don't know. I've never driven an automatic Dodge so I couldn't base it on anything.

-Chris

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard a rumor that the 2003+ 2500's with the cummins will have Allison transmissions... I wonder if this is true?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could install a complete Level 10 tranny or buy one of there kits,they claim their stuff is "bulletproof" and good for 600 horsepower and 850 pounds feet of torque.

http://www.levelten.com/

·
Registered
464 Posts
I wouldn't be sprised... Ford has used an Allison "like" transmission for the past couple of years because they realized they're automatics couldn't stand up to the International/Navistar Diesels. Dodge is realizing this to, and being that Allison's are built by the same people that build Cummins its only logical that they mate them together.

-Chris

·
Registered
472 Posts
problem with the level 10 is that at 400hp with a diesel you're at the 850lbs of torque or really close---I'm above that and so are a lot of my friends---need to check into it more---the website I stated earlier are one of the businesses to talk too....tons of info and great guys----I went to the allison site and couldn't find the 525 tranny--I'll go back and look some more later---chris

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry, the 525's not for pickups, the 1000 series is (they're almost identical, just the bell housing is smaller on the 1000's). Here's a link to the <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/series/1000series.jsp" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

-Chris

6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift Springs w/ 3" factory blocks, Custom Axle Vents & Steering Shaft/Knuckle Joint, 35X12.50X15 BFG AT/KO's on 15X8.5 American Racing 767, 360 w/ 2bbl & Crane PowerMax Cam & Valvetrain

·
Registered
502 Posts
one of the best things anyone with the Dodge diesel can do is to get either upgrades to their current trans or get a complete new trans.
I know that SunCoast offers a fully built 47RERH with a 24 month unlimited hp/mileage warranty on it.

If I ever have to replace mine that is the route I would go.
I plan to get some of their upgrades for my trans before I start to add real power to my truck.

As for the 03 Ram Diesel the first have of the year they will have the same trans as the current trucks. The second half of the year that will get a 48RE which will allow you to get the HO motor with an Auto.

just my .02

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts