Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it? They have killer deals on stuff.... some of its garbage, are any of their tool brands US made? Chicago Electric, Pittsburgh, Central Forge? I'm trying to put together a few things, bench grinder,cut off saw, etc. but I want to buy US made if possible.

MIke.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Everything Ive seen says "Made in China".

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
im getting pissed off at them lately. ever since the truggy build im in there every week or so. i had to return a big socket set that i thought i needed to take my mog hub off but bought sae instead of metric, they cut the box open with their OWN tape covering it from a previous return and checked for missing crap, well it was missing one socket. They didnt want to give my money back. i said wtf this is harbor freight not sears! bitch gave my money back in full and we stole 20 cut off wheels lol. :flipoff:

since its all made in china, why does h.f. think they should sell their cut off wheels for 8 bucks? wtf! ripoff

end rant. {expletive} HF. except their 12 ton jack stands and cut off wheels which are free now

this just tells you how much they suck :rotfl:

i took this earlier this year

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i use harbor freight pitman arm pullers like they are going out of style..

lol.. every three jobs I break one, 6 bucks later, got a new one.. I keep three on hand..

Other then that, the only harbor freight tools I use are lights, socket adaptors, and socket organizers, everything else breaks in the short run, period..

I have a nice pitman arm puller from snap on, but I dont like it, I only use it for fords since they think they are hot {expletive} putting a massive mouthed pitman arm on their super shiitty im mean duty trucks..

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I have some things from HF...I have a 20-ton press, large transmission jack, and a tubing bender from HF. None of these has ever had an issue. The trans jack was bought to remove the NV4500 from my dad's truck...it worked perfectly.

I have bought cheap hand tools and a better battery charger from them...mainly because the hand tools are cheap and if they get lost or broken, not a big deal at $15 a set. I keep my Craftsman stuff at home in the toolbox. I try to avoid anything electrical from them as most times it is wired cheap...the battery charger was fairly good quality though.

I believe my balljoint press and adapter kit is a HF as well...it has been used and abused. I also recently bought a backup code reader from them...it works every bit as good as my Actron.

The main thing with HF stuff is that you need to look it over good...if it looks cheap/cheesy, it probably is.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2008-12-22 08:21, steved wrote:

The main thing with HF stuff is that you need to look it over good...if it looks cheap/cheesy, it probably is.

Agree 100%.

I've got a bunch of stuff from there.

things with no issues:
20-ton press
4x6 bandsaw
large 't' style jigsaw
4" grinder
4-1/2" grinder
large pry bars
3/4" drive socket set
impact sockets
air-ratchet
cut-off wheel
misc locking pliers/clamps
3-ton floor jack
ball joint press
ball joint adapter set
"parts warehouses" (like cotter pins, heat shrink, cheap nut-bolt sets, etc)
easy outs
engine hoist
engine stand
20-gallon parts washer
DA palm sander
ball peen hammers, dead blows, etc

some things with issues:
porta-band, keeps breaking teeth on the plastic drive gear, but works great until i bind it up and break it

as for hand tools, they are not bad of roccasional work and I actually have some for
"trail tools". You know the ones that are cheap enough to loose or loan out and loose or cheap enough to replace once you weld them to your tie rod or whatever

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Like Steve says, the good stuff (MAC, Snap-on, Matco, etc.) stays at home, the cheap sheot is what is found under the seat of the truck or in the toolbox.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Yeah.. some stuff there is good.. some yeah not so much.

Most of their air tools are decent but I wouldn't depend on an impact from them or anything. Screw drivers and other stuff I can keep in the trail tools bag don't worry me much if something comes up missing in there.

I also have my Craftsman tool set in Piggy along with the tool bag, but I also watch over that stuff like a hawk when others use it.

But I can say without a doubt, the $20 electric 4" grinder has lasted the whole build of Piggy and still works great. I for SURE got my $20 outta that sucker, but their cutoff wheels blow ass and blow apart.. so buy either a bunch of them when they are on sale, or buy good ones elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess you guys got lucky my friend bought a angle grinder from them... the one for like 12 dollars on sale for 6. The thing worked for a good 10 mins then it stopped.

MIke.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
but their cutoff wheels blow ass and blow apart.. so buy either a bunch of them when they are on sale, or buy good ones elsewhere.

And I think they are great....the {expletive} we get thru work sucks. They've worked on everything I needed, Even at Work.

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't even have one close enough for me to buy their {expletive}, so I stick with Home Depot or Lowes. All my tools are from there, and they have cheap sets of tools also, so if something breaks, I'll just go and get a new one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Isn't there a factory in one of the Carolinas? Could've sworn we passed one on the way to Myrtle Beach. I don't know if it was a factory or like a distribution center.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
harbor freight has a lifetime warranty on all hand tools. plus they are only a couple miles down the road. needless to say, ive acquired quite the selection in the pass few months.

anything electrical from them sucks.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On 2008-12-24 02:27, 8=D wrote:
harbor freight has a lifetime warranty on all hand tools. plus they are only a couple miles down the road. needless to say, ive acquired quite the selection in the pass few months.

Ya but I'm starting to realize that I'd rather have a better ratchet and stuff than warrenty... I had a harbor freight ratchet go bad on me on the trail and ended up torquing my lug nuts and hub not w/ a 3/8" ratchet(1/2" one broke) and then the 3/8" one sheared off on me too on the last lug nut...

I went and got new ones.. they look better designed... snap clips isntead of screws holding the thing together...

I bought them only cause the I got a 1/2" 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet for 14 dollars.... craftsman cheapeast I found was $175+

Its mainly cuase I want to buy American stuff to stop supporting china and I'm sick of chinese {expletive} breaking all the time...

MIke.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
On 2008-12-23 15:55, estshrrdnck725 wrote:
Isn't there a factory in one of the Carolinas? Could've sworn we passed one on the way to Myrtle Beach. I don't know if it was a factory or like a distribution center.

It's just a Distribution Center IIRC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it? They have killer deals on stuff.... some of its garbage, are any of their tool brands US made? Chicago Electric, Pittsburgh, Central Forge? I'm trying to put together a few things, bench grinder,cut off saw, etc. but I want to buy US made if possible.

MIke.
Chicago Electric, US General, Badland Winches -- All made in China. I got a HF card and haven't been able to use it because there isn't anything I could find made in America so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts