Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you guys with lifted trucks......

How much more per month is the insurance on a modified truck. My dad says the insurance will be high enough for a teen and if it costs more to insure a lifted truck than a stock truck i cant lift it at all. I asked him if we could just not tell the insurance company and he said hell no because they will throw out my claims if i ever have any if the truck is lifted and i dont tell them.

I would really appreciate it if some of yall who are actually paying for insurance for your lifted trucks could help me out here. I want to do a 3" suspension lift and 33" tires on a ram 1500 4x4( as big as my dad will let me go). Will the insurance for my truck cost more for this than if it was stock and how much more. Anyone who actually knows this from experiece, i would really appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
joe,
not real sure about the whole insurance thing but i'm in the same boat(except i'm adding 5" and 35's). can't see how they'd disclaim 3" & 33's when that's what the offroad package comes with. i've heard the price is the same per month, now they won't cover anything with the suspension, it also voids the warranty
troy

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have State Farm, and there is no additional cost for my lift and other modifications. I don't know if they are covered by my insurance (maybe I should find out), but my agent knows my truck is lifted.

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.4x4trails.net" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
362 Posts
What I have found out in the past is that you are suposed to tell them about stuff you add like a camper shell, aftermarket wheels, winches etc.... If you dont than they dont have to cover the items you have added and not told them about. Example years ago I had a truck with a snugtop shellon it. Long story short, the window had a screw lodged in it and I shut it to hard one day a busted it, I have no deductable on theft and comprensive so glass cost me nothing to replace but since I had not told them I added the shell than they couldnt cover it. Lift dont raise the cost as far as I know, at least they never did with me.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
hey Joe,
here are my thoughts, Dad just doesnt want you to lift your truck. ive gotten, "youve wasted a perfectly good truck", "i dont know if i should congratulate you or slap you", or "why did you waste your money on that". and dude im 27! i got the same thing from my folks when the nissan truck they gave me at H.S. graduation turned up lowered one day!
my insurance didnt go up, i pay Allstate $75 a month. but i have heard what Uncle had said about not covering it if you dont tell them. i think its more or less that if you modify it you have to take it to them to have it appraised if you want the extras covered.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My agent has seen my truck and even wanted a ride in it, he thought it was cool, but isnt anymore expensive than before all the goodies went onto it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Cali state law requires them to cover everything that bolted down. One of the few benefits I've found out here. :):

I had a long discussion with an insurance agent, who just kept repeating, "if it's attached to the truck, it's covered".

I keep meaning to swing my by current agent, just to let them drool over the truck again, and make sure I won't be surprised.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
when i was 16 i was insured on my 79 chevy 4x4 pickup because it was the cheapest of all of the family vehicles. we had mini vans, full size van, that type of thing, and i was still cheaper on my lifted 4x4.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey joe alright here you go buddy im gonna tell you what i did. I'm 16 yrs. old so insurance is already a killer. Mines probally a little lower since it's only a 2wd but i went with the same setup your goign for 3 in. suspension 33" tires. Dont tell your insurance your doing it and hope you dont get in a wreck. I called them up anonymous one day and said if they would raise the insurance if the truck is lifted and they said they dont allow lifts. But they did tell me it was fine if I did it after my warrenty was up. Well here I am warrenty almost up still no wreck just 2 cracked heads, I think im doin pretty good.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Supposedly in ca if you lift over 4 inches the insurance companies can drop your coverage. I'd like to see them do that one. My truck was lifted 5 inches at time of purchase and insuring it was no problem. no difference as to stock/lifted

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey Joe....I heard you shot your lady down... shot her down..... dumdumdededum.... Hey Joe....I heard you caught her messin around town....dumdumdededum.... I'm goni down to shoot my old lady.....you know I cought her messin aroud with another man.... dumdumdededum... And I shot her!!!!.....
OOPS...that might be a little before your time! :lol:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've heard this one somewhere before...I told my insurance company when I bought my truck that I was going to lift it and modify it to be well capable off road. My insurance company AAA, didn't seem to mind at all, it didn't effect my premiums and I occasionally see the lady that helped me set up my insurance and she seems to like the way it has been turning out. I've had no negative feedback about it affecting my premiums at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I was told by my insurance agent(my wife) that they don't charge anymore $$ for a lifted truck(her co. just stopped writing policies in Texas)
She also told me that if your cap was bolted down and the window broke they would have covered it weather or not you told them!
If you guys have any questions on insurance I can try to help just let me know!
Electric Insurance is the co. if anyone was wondering!

Ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hey guys my father in law is a farmers ins agent. he said he cant ins me if i put on a 5in lift, only up to 4in!!! i called state farm, geico, same thing! progresseive does up to 6in and it is based on dollar value. called allstate and the guy said 6in so i ran it buy my father in law, he did some research and told me they arent supposed to do lifts anymore! he said it would be my word against his if i were in an accident unless i had proof of him knowing i had the lift when he wrote the policy! if you cant prove the agent knew about it the ins company can deny your claim and then your screwed!!!!this is how it is in AZ i dont know about anywhere else though. B.S.!!!!!! :cuss: :fu: :321: :shoot: :argue: :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It mostly depends on your state. In some states, your liability premiums can increase if you lift it due to increased damage potential to other vehicles in a wreck, but in other states liability isn't affected at all. Comprehensive coverage is what I would worry most about. That is what governs how much they pay you in the godawful event your vehicle is stolen, or if parts are stolen off your truck. Collision is a factor so they can decide what a fair(if anything in the ins world is fair) market value for your rig is.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Im running a 3 in body lift and i hit a car and my insurance guy is cool, 3 weeks afterwards a lady in a jimmy hit my hitch that has a pinnle spelling ? and her front end fell of. he was like yup u got the badass truck dodge ram i laughed i already pay 2400 a year :shock: what the heck is alittle more

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
alll they do is if a part breaks that wasnt on the orignal truck they dont pay for but the cost isnt higher most of the time i would check with the company they all are different. but most the time its only cuz its a 4x4 and that usally will cover a lifted truck soo no there shouldnt be extra charges.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i am with progresive here in missouri the agent has seen my truck i think we even talked about what i did to it, cause he was man that is a big truck, i told him i wanted to go higher he never said a word about you cant go higher then 6" or anything about insurance will go higher then when you mod it. the only way it will go up is if you insure your mods for what they are worth then it will go up. other then that it will never change

1 - 20 of 28 Posts