Off Road Vehicles banner

Installed my new system in the 04 Silverado. (pics)

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  waterbug1999 
#1 ·
Well, here are a few pic that I took during the install.. It all went pretty smooth and pretty basic. What stumped me was, was trying to to find/splice into the amp/wires to the factory subwoofer.. Finally found them (under the center piece) and got lucky as I spliced into the rigth color.. Sounds good. Hits hard as well.

[img=500x375]http://www.geocities.com/jody_abbott2000/truckinstall.JPG[/img]

[img=500x375]http://www.geocities.com/jody_abbott2000/truckinstall1.JPG[/img]

[img=500x375]http://www.geocities.com/jody_abbott2000/truckinstall2.JPG[/img]

[img=500x375]http://www.geocities.com/jody_abbott2000/truckinstall3.JPG[/img]

See less See more
#8 ·
If you look along the back firewall.. There is an amp that I mounted back there. Thats why I had to take the rear seat out. I am sure the factory amp is not that powerful, but I needed to find it so I could splice into as that was the only place that was putting out the DB's that was needed for the amp to push my subs.. If you spliced into any of the doors, you would be getting the "mids" sounds and not the true bass.. Understand? Anymore questions, let me know.

#13 ·
looks great man, looks almost like what my buddy had in his silverado, except he was able to keep his rear seat in and had the amp in the middle hump.

but yours looks a lot cleaber then his, he wouldnt listen to me in some of the measurements and design so it didnt come out perfect. not that i would of had it perfect, just better then he did. but he learned

#14 ·
On 2005-12-13 14:49, waterbug1999 wrote:

What dont you get? Or understand...

The seats are back in...

He spliced into the factory sub because the factory amp in that truck only sends mid/high frequencies to the door speakers, so if he spliced those there wouldn't be the right signal for the woofers. Can't splice behind the radio because of the way those trucks are wired unless he got an amp integration harness if it even exists for that truck. By splicing into the factory woofer he is getting the right frequencies that the subs want.

That box looks pretty good. How much room is there between the woofers and the floor? Is there anywhere around it for air to get out, or do the woofers just fire at the floor?

Only problem I see is using an Xplode amp on L7s, that's blasphemy! haha.

#15 ·
On 2005-12-13 15:58, fro-nig wrote:
looks great man, looks almost like what my buddy had in his silverado, except he was able to keep his rear seat in and had the amp in the middle hump.

but yours looks a lot cleaber then his, he wouldnt listen to me in some of the measurements and design so it didnt come out perfect. not that i would of had it perfect, just better then he did. but he learned

The seat is back in like normal. No hitting/rubbing anywhere... I have had an 01 Silverado and if you look at the amp, it is all scrathced up. That was from the 01. So, I knew it would fit but just needed to move it over. It used to hit on the metal cable that runs like a "V" behind the seat. The box was 225 bucks thatI picked up from subthump.com. The subs are about 1.5-2" off the floorboard or so I guess. They do not hit.
I think though, I am actually going to cut the box to make the "fire" up. Sounds good now, but it is just not bass'in like I think it should. But, ran out of money so it will have to do. All in all it sounds a hell of alot louder then before..
I had a girl in the truck this past weekend, she likes the subs facing down as they shake the hell out of the floorboard which vibrates the HELL out of the seat. She said it was turning her on!!! LOL
:eyecrazy:

#16 ·
On 2005-12-13 16:43, UrbanRedneck wrote:

He spliced into the factory sub because the factory amp in that truck only sends mid/high frequencies to the door speakers, so if he spliced those there wouldn't be the right signal for the woofers. Can't splice behind the radio because of the way those trucks are wired unless he got an amp integration harness if it even exists for that truck. By splicing into the factory woofer he is getting the right frequencies that the subs want.

That box looks pretty good. How much room is there between the woofers and the floor? Is there anywhere around it for air to get out, or do the woofers just fire at the floor?

Only problem I see is using an Xplode amp on L7s, that's blasphemy! haha.

Thanks for explaining it..

Yea, That amp is around 5-7 years old and has been thrue hell. When I get some extra cash I will upgrade it.
Although, the amp is rated for 1K watts and it is a "D" class amp. So, I have them in parallel. It's pushing them no problem but I think the amp is just old.

#18 ·
On 2005-12-13 20:55, UrbanRedneck wrote:
Wow that's a hell of a run for a Sony. Half the Sony head units we install are broken out of the box. But when you do upgrade the amp you will notice. Match those subs with a Kicker mono amp and it will make a world of difference I bet.

Yea, I hear ya. I will wait to change the amp out probably when the factory head unit takes a {expletive}...

#19 ·
On 2005-12-13 16:43, UrbanRedneck wrote:

i got that part, what does this mean?
" I needed to find it so I could splice into as that was the only place that was putting out the DB's that was needed for the amp to push my subs"
-Cody

#20 ·
On 2005-12-13 21:46, Exalted512 wrote:

" I needed to find it so I could splice into as that was the only place that was putting out the DB's that was needed for the amp to push my subs"
-Cody

He just worded it wrong. Basically he meant that if he hooked it up anywhere else the amp wouldn't get the right frequencies and after it was done filtering to just bass there'd be barely any signal, so the sub would be quiet.

#21 ·
On 2005-12-13 21:46, Exalted512 wrote:

-Cody

You have your "Highs', "Mids", and "Lows".. I was referring to Lows as "DB's".. Guess I could have been more clearer..

#22 ·
hey waterbug1999 can you get me the measurements on that box. i have a 04 chevy exactly like yours and have two diamond d3's wiht a 620watt amp going to them and a mtx thunderform box and its not loud at all. also could u tell me what collor the wire was u slpiced into, i just sliped into the door speakers.

thank 04zon285s

#23 ·
On 2005-12-15 17:21, 04zon285s wrote:
hey waterbug1999 can you get me the measurements on that box. i have a 04 chevy exactly like yours and have two diamond d3's wiht a 620watt amp going to them and a mtx thunderform box and its not loud at all. also could u tell me what collor the wire was u slpiced into, i just sliped into the door speakers.

thank 04zon285s

Does your truck have the same sounds system? I did not even know mine had a sub in it till i was playing around with it.. The amps are under the center console.. I popped of the black part were your cups and trash sit (your are going to have to take screws and other parts off, so its not as simple as it sounds).. Running along the passenger side (of the console) you can see some wires headed up under the dash( i think it was blue and a green with a white stripe around them.) There was some black tape around them so you might have to peel the tape back to get to the wires. Youll see a cluster of wires kinda in the middle, I would a$$ume those are for the other speakers..
You can try and get to the factory subwoofer and splice in there.. I was stumped on how to get up under there..

Let me know if you need some more info.. I can PM you my cell if you want.. I guess I should have taken pics of what and where I spliced into it at to be more exact. I did this over a month ago and since then, I have drank alot of beers!! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.