Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blew up my torque converter and instead of slapping the same thing back in it so it can blow up again I was wanting some input from you guys. I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 extended cab with a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift. Its a 360 gasser that might have 25 more horsepower then stock, so not much. It has a 46re automatic transmission, stock gears, and 37 inch tires. So Its pretty obvious why I blew up my torque converter. I don't have the money to put new gears in it I just want to get it back on the road.

Here is what I was wondering, can I put a 47re torque converter in it? If not what would you recommend? There is a tranny shop in town that said they could build me one for under 500 bucks. Is that my best bet?

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If you blew up your convertor, you will need a rebuild on the trans as well. All the convertor metal and shavings went thru the tranny.

Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are actually the first person to tell me that. But that is what first led me to think that the torque converter went out. Then it started making a rattling sound. I am going to flush it out and then do it again in a couple months, I don't have that many miles on this rebuild and I think I can get away with it.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I used to work for Dodge, you have a very good chance of toasting your tranny and the new convertor.

Good Luck
Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for bringing that to my attention. That is something I didn't even think about. Like I said I was going to flush it and keep truckin.

·
Registered
315 Posts
On 2009-06-29 17:15, RamSport59 wrote:
If you blew up your convertor, you will need a rebuild on the trans as well. All the convertor metal and shavings went thru the tranny.

Rick

What metal shaving do you get when a torque convertor blows up? I don't want to walk down to the shop and take a picture of a blown torque convertor cut open but all I see is bent vanes? I have blown up a few and when I cut them apart you see vanes ripped from their seat even though they are silver brazed in place.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
On 2009-07-01 17:26, Shadow14 wrote:

What metal shaving do you get when a torque convertor blows up?

You have never seen a TC come apart and get metal out of it?

I must be breaking good then, along with alot of my cust's of the years.

Rick

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had a torque convertor go bad on my 94 and had to rebuild the complete tranny. I went with a Goerend transmission. I took the bad tranny up for an exchange and Dave took the tranny pan off to see what happened. The bottom of the pan had a film of fine material on it. Dave told me that it was from the torque convertor clutch and will go right to the valve body. He also told me to install a new tranny cooler and flush the lines out. The old cooler cannot be reused, since that clutch material is so fine, it cannot be flushed out and I would be back buying another tranny, if I did not replace the cooler.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys,
My name is Martin Saine. Newbie to the site, but not to the trans world.
If you blew the converter, the very first thing it would do is pump garbage through your coolers, which cannot be cleaned out by blowing or flushing along the normal flow direction. Fine partuclants get stuck in the crannys and need to be backflushed out, preferably with heated solvent. You would need to ditch the checkvalve and pump solvent backwards through the system (not the trans!! Bypass the trans) to have a chance of getting it all out.
Even then, when you destroy a converter it will pump through the coolers, then into the rear support area, most likely taking out the rear support, shaft, drums, etc. You also might have much problems with garbage in the VB leading to erratic and stuck shifting.
Good luck cleaning out the coolers and lines, but DO backflush them and filter your flushings to see when and if you get clean fluid.
Even so, some damage has been done, so expect trans failure in the near future, and be ecstatic if it doesn't!

If you want some information on HD converters, trans stuff, etc., PM me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
for the convertor, as long as you dont go back with a dodge OEM convertor, use an aftermarket good name brand, you wont have the same issues with blowing it up all the time. And everyone is right about having to rebuild the tranny after it dumps the convertor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks Guys, Turns out you were all right. I took the tranny out, Inspected what I could, cleaned out everything with solvent, replaced the sensors then flushed the lines and coolers. Got a great torque converter and put it all together. It moved better but the tranny was completely shot. Live and learn. 3.55 gears and 35" tires set me back a tranny and a torque converter. Anyone following this post should learn from my mistake, new tires= New Gears! I got away with it for a little while but it caught up to me. I hope to have the rig back up this summer with a new tranny and gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those big tires do not help any. Im running close to stock ratio on my 38's and I just blew the input bearing (Atleast I think) on my 42re... Now im upgrading to a 46re. (Yes im running a 5.9 in a dakota with a stock v6 tranny lol.)

Just wondering now if it was my torque converter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36IeCIIfN-4

Thats a video of what my tranny sounds like it's for sure coming from the tranny housing. Am I going to have to replace my cooler and lines too? Thats what Im worried about now. Did yours sound like this?

here is the cooler I have:
http://www.performancetransparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=214
and the check valve has been removed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah mine definitely sounded something like that. I remember that I kept checking my torque converter bolts because it sounded like one had come up a little, just enough to start ticking against my block. That was the most distinctive sound. Other then that I can only describe my tranny is sounding not normal. But the dead giveaway was all the metal in my tranny. Just a ton of metal filings and when I took that tranny out for the first time I couldn't find anything that looked like it lost any material. But you can't see into the torque converter.

As for the cooler and lines, I would keep them man. If you feel like you can take them in and out w/o damaging them then keep them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cuise said:
Yeah mine definitely sounded something like that. I remember that I kept checking my torque converter bolts because it sounded like one had come up a little, just enough to start ticking against my block. That was the most distinctive sound. Other then that I can only describe my tranny is sounding not normal. But the dead giveaway was all the metal in my tranny. Just a ton of metal filings and when I took that tranny out for the first time I couldn't find anything that looked like it lost any material. But you can't see into the torque converter.

As for the cooler and lines, I would keep them man. If you feel like you can take them in and out w/o damaging them then keep them.
Thanks, good to know. Im getting a 46re now. I got the whimpy 42re behind a 5.9 I knew one day but it was good while it lasted (2 years).

Found a tranny for 350 bucks so picking that up when I can and rebuilding it when I can. Might drop it in as is for now, and when I get the money R & R it and rebuild it.

Here is the thread and has some pics of my oil pan:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2298021&postcount=1

Did yours look similar? Might help some people diagnose noises when they have a similar noise. I thought it was a cracked flex plate (Which is was but wasn't causing any noise.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine had a lot more metal then that. It had about 1/8" of crap covering the whole bottom on a 6 month rebuild. So I was pretty pissed. But anyway your right, just get rid of the 42, I mean It wasn't built for you application to start with so you are already putting yourself in a bad situation from day one. You've already won by running it two years without problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ah i just Heard the noise drove maybe 1-2 km's to get it home and have had it parked ever since and started it a few times to try and figure out what the hell the noise was... probably the reason why the tranny still is okayish

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like the converter. Best not to drive it too much until at least pulling the pan to see if you have blackish build up (clutch) or metal particles in the pan.

If any of you guys want info on HD converters and/or transmissions, and/or valvebodies, PM, email, or call me at the contact info below.
I specialize in Dodge high performance and heavy duty transmissions and converters for racing, off roading, and 4 x 4.

Martin Saine
[email protected]
951-907-0434

varsis said:
ah i just Heard the noise drove maybe 1-2 km's to get it home and have had it parked ever since and started it a few times to try and figure out what the hell the noise was... probably the reason why the tranny still is okayish

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would Buy a new converter but I got a new tranny, everything is clean inside other than a snap ring. But It is going to be replaced and easy rebuild!

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

If you blew the converter, the very first thing it would do is pump garbage through your coolers, which cannot be cleaned out by blowing or flushing along the normal flow direction. Fine partuclants get stuck in the crannys and need to be backflushed out, preferably with heated solvent. You would need to ditch the checkvalve and pump solvent backwards through the system (not the trans!! Bypass the trans) to have a chance of getting it all out.

Even then, when you destroy a converter it will pump through the coolers, then into the rear support area, most likely taking out the rear support, shaft, drums, etc. You also might have much problems with garbage in the VB leading to erratic and stuck shifting.

Good luck cleaning out the coolers and lines, but DO backflush them and filter your flushings to see when and if you get clean fluid.

Even so, some damage has been done, so expect trans failure in the near future, and be ecstatic if it doesn't!

Evening Martin, Jeff here. Read your input on a beefed up converter. I have a 2008 tundra 5.7 litre V8 with a magnuson supercharger soon to be installing a smaller pulley for more horsepower. I want to beef up my trans and anything I would need converter included. Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

Evening Martin, Jeff here. Read your input on a beefed up converter. I have a 2008 tundra 5.7 litre V8 with a magnuson supercharger soon to be installing a smaller pulley for more horsepower. I want to beef up my trans and anything I would need converter included. Any advice please text me at (714) 914-3038.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts