Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I went out 'wheeling last week. The mud pit that I went to two days earlier that I pulled a stuck friend out wasn't as soft when I went through it again. According to the guys that I was out there with...I got between two to three feet of air (wish they had the camera ready). Anyway, when I landed I tore off three of the plastic gromments that hold my passenger side inner fender well in place. Has anyone completely removed there front fender well plastic? What are the pros and cons to this? I'm thinking of taking then out so I don't have to worry about them anymore but i'm not sure if I would leave anything open that should be protected...or if these things are just for looks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
if ya take them out,your sure to cover the engine compartment with rocks,mud,water ect. at least a lot more then if you leave them in. one of mine was only cracked and i noticed a difference.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i could of swore i seen one of jason's how to that he remove the inner fender for something.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Probably for the body lift install, the shift linkage is easier to get to if you take the driver side fender liner out. You will coat you engine compartment more with offroad "gunk" if you decide to remove them. I have the same problem with grommets breaking, but I just used strong zip ties in their place, and havenot had a problem ssince, and I wheel pretty hard...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Those things are called "Trim Rivits" There available at kragen Auto in various lengths and widths.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I trimmed my front 2, with my new front bumper wind would catch it at high speeds and break anything I had holding it and starting bending it back ingto the tire, it was very annoying so i trimmed it it a little.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
beast, how do you put the zip ties in there? there is only one hole so how do you loop it back?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
hey ian, if you take off your inner fender things i will gladly take them off of your hands. i have compleatly tore the one on my driver side up, and i am working on the passanger side.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think the beast is talking about some of the holes that are close to the edge of the plastic, like the ones on the inside near the motor not the ones near the body.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
the inner fenders on my truck basicaly fell out. There is a metal inner fender under the plastic. If you are lifted the inner fender doesn't protect the engine compartment for crap! Take them off no major difference. Just make sure there isn't any sharp edges on the metal underneath. you don't need a slice in your tire.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw a 2500 the other day with a 5 inch Skyjacker lift on it. The inner fender wells were removed and on the driver's side on the rear of the fender well (towards the firewall) there is a computer type module. Anybody know what this thing is? Oh yeah, this is the truck I got the Boggers off of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts