Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if you can weld to the SJ indexing ring? I'd love to turn it into the tranny mount/crossmember.

its probably a cast POS that wont hold up, but I can hope that its a machined piece.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Actually I do believe its machined. What do you mean you wanna turn it into a tranny mount?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
instead of the cut stock crossmember, weld arms to the indexing ring and then run those up high over to the frame where it will attach with bushings to mounts bolted to the frame.

then with the oem crossmember gone, build a skid plate that is up as high as possible.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
that is an awesome idea.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Yeah, Jason it's a cast piece. I called up skyjacker a few hrs. ago, and that's what they gave me. You probably know this, but they said the only thing with welding it is to make sure there aren't any pits in the metal when you get done.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i ain't gonna weld that mount to a cast POS. i'll figure something else out.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!! Holy crap, I thought I put machined in there. My bad. Yeah, it's machined. I kept thinking of something else. IT IS MACHINED. My bad, Jason.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It is machined, but just coated with some gold zinc crap like a bolt. I dont know how you are gonna work a crossmember, There isnt much to weld to there at all, maybe 1/2" thick. Also BE VERY VERY careful when welding not to get the ring too hot in one place and warp it outta shape.....this could be very bad...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Check eBay, I'm pretty sure I saw a company that has an indexing ring for the Ram that is made from plasma cut steel. Might have been Great Lakes Offroad or something like that.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
This is a VERY interesting idea. Why not, instead of welding to it, copy it onto a single sheet of steel and use that as your crossmember/indexing ring. I think it would hold up better

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
:withstupid: Thats an even better idea :bigthumb:

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
On 2005-12-14 06:15, King Nothing wrote:
This is a VERY interesting idea. Why not, instead of welding to it, copy it onto a single sheet of steel and use that as your crossmember/indexing ring. I think it would hold up better

that is a good idea. if anyone has dimensions, ive got solidworks... :D:

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
James can CAD it, but my idea, my profit :):

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I think I'd just redesign a different tranny mount, skidplate combo. Maybe make a higher profile crossmember and then make a place to bolt it with a rubber isolator onto the reindexing ring. I'd keep the support under it, what would happen if it failed with it designed like a hanger?

Sorry, just playing devil's advocate... :naughty:

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
On 2005-12-14 14:26, The Boss wrote:
James can CAD it, but my idea, my profit :):
I think I deserve a cut here for my one peice idea LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts