Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started my 3" PA lift lastnight,in hopes of finishing up over the weekend. Ran into a problem that Jasons how to or none of the other posts I have read mention as difficult: removing the steering shaft from the box to add the adapter. YES, I did completely remove the bolt,pulled back the boot in the middle of the shaft where the two pieces slip together and sprayed with liquid wrench. How hard should I pry on the knuckle to get it off? Removing the shift linkage and front bumper was cake compared to dealing with this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Goose1, i looked through my book and do not see anything else. it looks like you only need to remove the pinch bolt. just keep spraying it down and take your time. i know this is no help – but i don’t think you are missing anything. also - you should have a recall on your steering shaft. if there is not a sleeve just around the top of the boot, you need to get it to a dealer for the recall at no charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not aware of a recall, but there is a plastic "dust sleeve" that is zip tied to the upper half of the shaft above the boot. Hope this is good. I talked to PA tech and they said to just start lifting the driver side of the cab and watch to see if it pops if off the steering box, so I'll give it a try tonight. It could be interesting getting things back together if that shaft does not break free and allow length movement. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wow, I had it easy, all I had to do was add an extension where the steering shaft meets the steering gear box. It just bolts right on. The spacers and all other hardware I had on in about 3 hours, but the front bumper I had messed with for about 6 hours trying to get it lined up right. Mine is a 2000 model so I guess its easier to work on. Good luck with you project.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the plastic "dust sleeve" that is zip tied to the upper half of the shaft is the recall - you are good to go. if you picked up the truck used, you need to call a dealer and give them your VIN number. they will let you know if anything elese needs to be fixed. i have a 95 ram and there has been about 4 recalls that i had to get done over the last few years. again, these are done at no charge to you. let us know how the shaft works out tonight...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
At least on my 97, the extension is for where the steering shaft attaches to the steering box. You DO NOT mess with the shaft itself.

You remove the bolt that clamps the steering shaft universal to the steering box input shaft. Slide the steering shaft up and off the box. Install the extension onthe box, then reinstall the steering shaft universal to the extension. Install and tighten bolts.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Jason, thats the same way it is on my 99.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jason, that is exactly what I am trying to do, problem is the shaft won't "slide" off the box. Even tried prying on the split knuckle, but don't want to get too carried away and mess up the seal on the box. Guess my only hope is that lifting the cab will pull it off. Bit without being able to telescope the shaft it could be interesting to get back together. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I had to use a large flat screwdriver to pry the universal off the box. Work it from both sides of the shaft.

If the steering shaft is not sliding then that is a safety issue becuase in an accident the steering wheel will not collapse.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
mine did the same thing. i slid up fine during the body lift procedure. then this past january when i was having steering slop problems, i took it off no problem it collapsed fine, no play but i figure might as well throw some more grease on the shaft for good measure. 3 weeks later when i was putting the new steering gearbox on , after i collapsed it to get it out of the way, i couldnt extend it. i completely took it off and spent almost 3 hours trying to get it to slide. i stuck a screwdriver in each end and tried to spread it apart with a floor jack even!! finally just started hitting the firewall end with a BFH and got it apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Shawn, I'll be starting in this project again it about in a couple of hours. Should I go ahead and lift the body and see what happens, or try removing the shaft at the steering end and beating the life out of it? Jason has be worried about the safety thing, I dont want to be eating the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think as you lift the drivers side of the cab the shaft will come apart for you, have someone jack on it while you watch it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts