Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear anything about changes in quality or service with Savage since ATK bought them? I am considering a MkII rifle for my daughter and they were nice and affordable, a good combo for sure. But if one or the other changes I'd want to rethink it at least.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
hadn't even heard they bought Savage... I hope nothing falls by the wayside!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I have not hear anything bad about it. They seemed to be the same quality, vs. marlin and the remington deal that has gone a little poorly on some of their larger level actions.

One rifle you may want to also look at is the Marlin 10/22 take down. Runs about $300 including the back pack it come with. That one is still quality, provided you can get 22LR. Not sure when they expect the HomeLand order to be filled?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to stick to a bolt action. I am looking at http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVXP for her. She is 12 and she shot my dad's old bolt action rifle the other week. That was her first time shooting and she picked up it quickly and safely and actually was stuffing round after round in the same hole at 20 yds.

This one looks like a good package and relatively cheap. Just hoping the stock is not too long for her. Hoping to find on in the store for her to try.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The scope kind of sucks, but it was part of the package. I am considering upgrading it to another cheap but not so crappy optic, likely something from BSA.

Came with one 5 rnd mag, but I found a pair of 10 rnd mags (Savage brand) and snagged those.

Feels pretty good, the stock is small for me, but it fits my daughter just fine. Synthetic stock, heavy barrel, accu-trigger. I put a 6-9" bipod on it as well

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
That's pretty good for her first year shooting.

How easy is to find quality 22LR amo in Cali? Around here it's now like $42 for a brick (1000 rounds), but it's hard for find anything other than federal which I think is kind of low quality.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
22lr is a hard find here. I was able to grab two 325 round tins of Federal Champion for $25 about 5 months ago. When I was visiting my folks in WI back in July, my dad had found a brick of Winchester for $50 that he gave me and I had 1/2 a brick of some crappy Remington left over I had been holding on to. The rifle shoots all three brands nearly same at 50yds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We use those exact Savage rifles in our Hunter's Ed live fire shoot for qualification, and they are very, very accurate. Marlin makes on that is almost identical and it is also very accurate.

I would not worry about ATK purchasing Savage to have any effect on quality. ATK is a "gun group" that owns and operates most of the major ammo arsenals like Lake City. They aren't in this business to run down a noble business name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts