Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So check this out guys and girls if there are any here...

Yestday I installed my Crane HI-6 and LX 92 coil into my truck.
Everything looked good and ran good at first.

After the install I let my truck sit there and idle for about 5 minutes and all was good. After that it was about lunch time so I figued on a test drive.. took a 5 minute drive down to the local fast food place and set in their drive through for about 5 more minutes.

Right as I stated to pull out of the drive through my truck died. It restarted fine but once I let it idle for about 10-15 seconds it would die again. If I kept the RPM up it would stay running no problem.

I didnt want to deal with it at the burger place was I reconneted my stock coil and drove home no problem.

I what would cause something like this.. I did have the power lead connected to the back of the alternator since that 4 gauge cable runs over to the fuse box. I would hope that it wasnt drawing enough current at idle to stall my truck. I plan to rerun the power wire to the top of the battery so that if anything the batter will go a little low at idle and not the power lead to the fuse box.

I know I have a big stereo in my truck and can put a heavy load on the electrical system but my stereo was off in the drive through.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Check all the connections, the coil trigger wires at both ends, the power and ground to the ignition box, the ignition "on" lead to the box and the coil wire itself.

Otherwise maybe the coil was getting too hot or is defective?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to recheck and extend the power wire. I am also going to double check and maybe relocate the ground just to be safe. Other than that the only wires are the coil in and coil out wires. There are no other connections to be used on the Crane.

I dont undstand why it would work at higher RMP but not at idle after a while unless it was some kind of heat build up but if it was then why would it restart instantly. Something doesnt add up.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts