Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to swap an 8 lug 3/4 ton IFS set up in place of my 6 lug 1/2 ton IFS? Nobody makes a locker for the 6 lug, and 36's would beat up the 1/2 ton IFS...so I want to upgrade. Don't tell me to do the SAC, I can't afford the time to hunt down compatible used parts and don't have the cash for new. If I can grab a good 3/4 ton set up from a junk yard, and it's pretty much a straight bolt in swap, I can get out of this for under $1000.

Sniper

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i dunno but if it was me i would just do a straight front axle swap if i was gonna go through all that trouble. ive never heard of anyone doing that before (swaping out the IFS with another)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Can't think of even one reason why you would want to swap IFS for IFS. If you're going to do it slap in a solid front axle. You will get more articulation and better lift options.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
On 2002-04-19 23:35, Sniper wrote:
Don't tell me to do the SAC, I can't afford the time to hunt down compatible used parts and don't have the cash for new

he said to not tell him that guys. i think as long as you are aware of the limitations of the IFS and still wanna go with it, a heavier duty swap would be a great idea. it makes plenty of sense, as long as the price is cheap.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Truth is there are tons of HD solid axles lying in junkyards out there and all that is required is a torch and a welder. The swap is relatively straight forward and the benefits far outweigh the IFS option. That's a lot of work to do to just end up with an axle that can't flex and nobody even makes a locking diff for them.

·
Registered
896 Posts
He's running two inch blocks in the rear, and cranked torsion bars up front to run 285/75's.

Before today, I would have said the same thing about the SFA conversion.

But I went wheeling with Sniper today, just about all rockcrawling, and that IFS did damn good. And that truck has a TON of rear articulation to make up for what it lacks up front. I was REALLY impressed. Kinda made me eat my words after all the junk I talk about IFS. Turns out the biggest limitation of the truck was not the IFS, but it's size.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well I don't know what type of rock crawling you all did, but my live axle flat trounced my buddy's IFS Chevy down in Moab so anytime you want to go toe to toe I'm down.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Never said anything about a Jeep. Built four of them, one from the frame up and sorry, but I've been rock crawling for 12 years now and run with Jeeps all the time. Some places they do better some places I do better. You come to Moab with me one time and I'll have that 2" lifted jeep sitting high centered on it's skidplate. Keep in mind your comparing apples to oranges when you compare a jeep against a full size truck.

3" Performance Accessories Body Lift
35/15.50-16.5 Swamper SX's on Weld Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
True, true Sniper. Its all in what type of wheeling you do. My Dodge did pretty good in Moab, but the wheelbase was definitely a limiting factor in some instances and a benefit in others. My dad has an old 86 2wd Chevy S-10 that he is going to give me next month. I'm planning on torching off the front suspension and hanging a couple of full size truck axles under it. Going to do a spring over while we're at it and it should make a killer rock buggy. My buddy's a certified welder so cost isn't really going to be a factor. If you're interested I'll document the work and can send it to you in case you ever decide to do the SFA swap. Let me know and happy trails bro.

3" Performance Accessories Body Lift
35/15.50-16.5 Swamper SX's on Weld Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

·
Registered
39 Posts
sniper, what do you run in the rear of your truck. i have a 6 lug 14 sf w/detroit locker in the rear of mine. as for the front,even 8 lug i dont think you can run a locker. maybe a air-locker. dont think ifs can handle it.
just my $.03

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
To find out if it will work, just measuse all the mounting points (bolt diameter, mount width, mount locations, etc) then check the yokes to see if they will work. You may need to modify the front driveline to account for the rear 1/2 ton and front 3/4 ton u-joints. You may also need a differnet length d-shaft in the center section is larger.

Also, you will need to swap out the rear axles to match the front bolt pattern. 2 differnet bolt spatterns is not cool if you get a flat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why do you think I wanted to swap out for a complete 3/4 ton set up? First, I need an 8 lug IFS if I want to run locked up front, and second, why would I want to keep a wimpy 10 bolt rear when I'm going to lock it..add 4.56's and run 36's? The IFS is a straight bolt in swap, and any late model GMC 14 bolt will also bolt right in.

Sniper

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Sorry.... You didnt mention that in your first post, or I just missed it...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
According to GMC, in 1999 the 1/2 & 3/4 ton Sierras shared a common frame, so a 1999 8 lug IFS is a direct bolt in swap for a 1999 6 lug, as long as you are swapping the entire unit from disc to disc and grab the front drive shaft as well. So far the lowest price I've been quoted from a junk yard for an 8 lug 1999 IFS complete w/shaft is $900. That's removed and shipped to my door. Try to do a SFA conversion for that.

Sniper

1 - 20 of 20 Posts