Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the people that didnt know what i am doing to my '90 Dakota, im doing a drivetrain swap. I am putting a 318, 727, Np208, Dana 44 front axle and a 9 1/4 rear axle from a '82 Ram Charger on to my Dakota. So far I have the tranny, t-case and and axles on it. It stands 8 inches higher than the stock height. It looks awesome! I need to buy bigger tires. I think i'm going to get 32x11.50 R15 BFG Mud Terrains. I'm, also going to be getting four trail master shocks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your truck is 8 inches taller than stock, you may want to consider going with tires larger than 32s. I mean, on my Bronco I have 7 inches of lift, and 35s.
By the way, ProComp Mud Terrains are fairly inexpensive, and I think that their performance is great considering the amount of road driving and weekend mudding that I do.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow a solid front axle on a Dakota!!!! I hope you post some pics cause I haven't seen too many dakotas with a solid front axle.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I put the engine into the truck it will probably lower the height of the truck alittle, and if I were to go to any bigger then 32's I think they might rub the fender when I turn the wheel all the way.I'm not quite sure if I will be buying BFG's of ProComps.Do you know which tire wears faster? I might post some pics soon just to show what it looks like right now. It's not all done but probably will be done around christmas. I also found out today when I went to pull out an axle shaft to change a wheel stud that it has a locker in the rear diff.That surprised my dad and I. And the axle shafts are big, we used a caliper to measure the diameter of the axle shaft and it came up to 1 5/8 inches. My dad also thinks that there maybe a locker in the front axle too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know which wears faster over the BFGs or the ProComps. I just bought my 35x12.50 ProComps about a month and a half ago, and my buddy just bought some of the new 35x12.50 BFG MudTerrain KMs. So far my tirse are wearing fairly well, and i do know that I love their performance off road. I haven't had a chance to wheel with the other guy and his BFGs, but when we do, I'll tell you who has the better bitin tire.

·
Registered
969 Posts
A locker in the front and rear? With that conversion your all set.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled off the diff cover on the front axle and there is no locker in the front axle. But i'm still happy with the locker in the rear.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now it seems like I only have 5 inches of lift.I bought some longer shackles for the front end to raise it up a few inches.I have the engine ready to be dropped in,and have an idea of how to rig the steering up too. After this weekend all I should have left is the exaust,break lines,hoses,and wires to work on.I also decided to trade in my Mickey Thompson Baja Belted tire to help me save some money on some 32X11.5 inch BFG MT's.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I have the pics of my truck almost done. It's not quite but a have the pics in my readers rides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts