Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, since we are on this whole topic of conversions over at DTO, I got to thinking (bad I know)... if you all remember I was looking at a 97 Cummins... would I be crazy to even think about getting it as a donor truck and dropping it in my 1500? the entire drive train on the 2500 is good but its just a HUGE truck, needs 4k of body work, not a quad cab... blah blah blah, and well, what could I sell my 360/transmission/axles/wiring harness and all out of my 1500 for? also, what kinda cash could I get for the frame and shell of a 97 2500 LWB CC? I know I am starting to talk crazy, but why the hell not? Also, what would you pay for a running donor 2500 Cummins?

Seriously, i am thinkin of this, also, I would get the tires and rims I want with the deal, a 3" lift, A diesel!, and above all still have my sweet ass truck! If I could get enough money for the parts I take out I might actually end up in a ok spot! Plus, I have someone that would probably have no problem helping me do it. What I am wondering is if the 1500 frame is different than the 2500... and if it is... would welding a steel beam to the frame rails to stiffen it be ok? You guys have no idea how excited about this I am, also, I have a friend at the dealership now incase I have to buy dodge parts I can probably get them for cost. Am I just dreaming beyond all reality?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
keep hoping
without hope there is nothing and who says you can't have a diesel and a sweet ass truck too.
if it works go for it
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol... really though, what do you think I could get for all those parts that I am going to scrap? also, I would end up with a LWB 2500 frame, ClubCab, Box, 97 Tan Leather interior, doors, all glass, LongBox, bumpers, towing hitch.... list gets big... what do you think all of that would be worth?

Also, the donor truck is 8k... motor alone is worth 4k, so I also would get 3/4ton axles and suspension with a 3" lift. The 47RE tranny that is rebuilt with a shift kit... amd I dreaming or could this actually work, and do you think I would make enough money off all the parts that I have left over to make this cost effective?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why not just buy a diesel 2500? Sell your truck for 19000 to 20000 and take the 8000 your going to spend on the diesel ya got about 27000. You could find a nice used diesel for 24000 to 28000.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
true true... but I also owe 27k on my 1500 right now... oops! I am dreaming, and well, it might not happen, we will see... I am just hoping that selling the parts that are left over might actually make me some money... but I doubt it... I am going to see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Alpha?
Why not swap YOUR cab and bed onto the diesel???
Sell your 1500 after doing a cheap and dirty on the bodywork you say the diesel needs.

That way you get a beautiful diesel quad cab WITH the lift and tires you want.

BTW, I have NO idea if that can be done but it sounded better than swapping the diesel stuff around. :):

I've heard the 2500-3500's have 2" taller frames... anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I know it sounds good, believe me I want a diesel as bad as the next guy but if I owed $27K on my truck I wouldn't be doing anything that major to it. Can you afford both trucks until you're able to sell your 1500? I just got mine paid under trade in value and I plan on doing just that. This way I won't lose anything. It will take some time for you to get to that point but...$27K is alot of money if something were to go wrong. I don't know, maybe you have a lot more money than I do but...my 2 cents...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ram_Man... I got to thinking the same... and actually thinking, why not leave the Long Bed on it... put my cab and fron end on it... do the body work on the box an paint it... and wala, I got a brand new truck with a diesel.... then test out my body work skills on the 1500 that would have the old 97 body on it... paint it the original grey color, and sell it... how could I sell it... and what VIN number would I use? KBB puts a 97 1500 4x4 CC with the 360 at 11k... and thats in crappy condition... fixed up its 13500... how would that work... what vin # would end up with which vehicle?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not sure about the VIN question... I would think going with the VIN on the cab would be easiest... but would that cause a major problem with emissions testers?
I wonder if there is some sort of waiver that you can just keep with the registration...

As far as the QC AND the long bed???
I don't know about your part of the country, but here that would be a looooong rig on the twisties!
Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in minnesota... so nice long straight roads... LWB doesnt bother me all that much anyway... emmissions... non-existant in Minnesota. only thing I am worried about is that I still have a loan on it through Chrysler... Warranty.. not worried about that anymore... I am past the factory anyway, and I can get 600 back if i cash in whats left of my 75k. I am just thinking I could sell my old 1500 for a ok price, wouldnt you think... it would be a 97 on the outside with new under the hood... and my bro is looking for a dodge 4x4 truck... would sellin it for 9k be a fair price?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that is what I am going to possibly try... Leave the long box on it and then put the 97 body on my 1500... then sell my 1500 to my brother... to which, how would I sell it? I am guessing I would go by the body VIN number... so basicly it would look like I am selling the 97 to my brother even though its not really a 2500... what I am wondering is if this is going to get me into legal trouble when it comes to insurance and such, or would I be better off parting out what is left and sell it that way... i am guessing I could get a pretty penny for a 2000 frame complete with drivetrain and engine? I still might shorten the frame of the 2500 and go short box style... if I swap everything....

This is what I need help with... what would this stuff be worth, and would any of you want to buy it?

-2000 1500 frame complete with entire drivetrain dana 44 up front, DC 9.25 rear 3.55 gears. 360 in its entirety with all engine compartment components. Mated to the 46RE Auto that has less than 3k miles on its last rebuild with a new TCC. Total milage on it is 44,600. All runs GREAT, and has no problems. Also would include the wire harness and stock computer

-1997 Entire ClubCab with all interior intact, tan leather seats. Both doors are in good condition, all power and all works. has a dent in the driver side of the extended cab, estimated 500 bucks to fix.

-1997 Long Box, in good condition, but needs the fron drivers side fixed a little, about 300 to fix. Tail gate is good.

-1997 front bumper, sport (has all the plastic parts that are new but are SLT and not painted)

-1997 Plastic fender skirts (2, both driverside and passanger)

-199x Right and left fenders, both are salvage and need some work (basicly strip surface rust and paint)

-199x radiator supports and cross member

-199x LH and RH internal fenders

-199x Hood, has hail dents but would be fine if you are just looking for a beater hood

-199x Tailgate, red, 1 small dent

-1997 Rear bumper and plastic cover step

-1997 tow hitch and harness

-199x 3 grills, 1 blue, 1 red, 1 chrome (painted ones have a couple clips missing)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
if it needs a core support, thats alotta work to put a new one in. it isnt like the good old days of just bolting one in. if you dont reinforce the metal inner fenders(engine compartment), you could tweak the front end by removing the core support and replacing it. and might have problems lining things up afterwards. i know of replacing the cabs is feasible legally but im not sure which vin applies. i think the vin has to stay with the chassis. BUT to get to the vin you either have to remove the whole dash or the windshield. from what body work you have listed, its going to be more than 4k.
as far as parting out your truck, you migh get $1500 for the motor and trans(at least thats what ive seen them go for out of like a vette or camero). work some OT and pay the truck off early, the only thing that the wreck is going to do is wreck you finacially trying to put it back together again.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you think that its feasible to get 8k out of what will be left over if sold seperately.. cuz if that is yes... then I would definately do it... I dont have to worry about labor, I am doing this on my own and with a friend... I really want to try this... I added up what people told me I could get for some of the stuff and it added up to more than 8k... but I just want to makesure I am going to have buyers or at least good solid numbers of what this stuff is worth before I start.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i dont know its really hard to say. i dont know if you every collected sports cards, but what the beckett book says and what you get are always 2 different things. you might get more for 1 parts and alot less for another. if you havent done bodywork before or dont have all the correct tools, your just going to open a big can of worms on yourself.
honestly i would just stick with what you have. has this diesel been on a rack to see if the frame is straight or any mounts havent been tweaked? if anything frame related has been bent, the truck will never be the same.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Okay, is interesting enough, but you have to consider a few things. Your current truck is a Quad Cab with a shortbed, correct? The diesel is a regular cab long bed, right? Well, if you leave the long bed on the diesel, and try to graft on your Quad Cab, there is something you have to consider...the frame won't be long enough for the quad cab and the long bed. In fact, you are going to have to do some MAJOR welding of some body mounts just to mount a quad cab to it, due to the original mounts being for a regular cab. I would be simpler to leave the regular cab on altogether and go buy a new one. Now, you could just take and put the quad cab on, take the bed off altogether and turn it into a Hardcore Cab truck...that would be awesome! And you could run 40's easy, plus the drivetrain would hold up to it! The frame on a 3/4 ton and above is larger, 3 inches taller and 1/4 inch thinker. The leaf packs, springs, axles, and steering equipment are all larger and more stout than any 1500. I say, buy the diesel, turn it into a hardcore truck with 40's, and keep the 1500 as your daily driver. Or sell the 1500 altogether like you are trying to. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Alpha as a friend I am telling you straight out you are nuts!!!!!

You my friend are in DEBT (27k) That is a lot of money to owe. I would suggest that you sell the truck and then start the dreaming process. Cutting up a perfectly good 1500 is not a good way to protect your investments (even though cars are horrible depreciating investments).

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok... i guess I missed something... this is what I want to do....

Current truck...
2000 1500 QuadCab SWB 360 4x4

Donor Truck....
1997 2500HD Extended Cab LWB CTD 4x4

Pull the 2000 body and put it on the 2500 frame. And try to make up my mind if I want to stay long box or cut it and drop the short box on it. Thats the deal, sorry, didnt mean to confuse you all.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Okay, answered my oen question, it is a club cab. Sorry, didn't read far enough, gots lots on my mind lately...It is feasible to do, just leave the long bed on, and swap cabs, and there ya go. Shortening the frame would probably not be the best idea, very difficult to do, and lots of measurements have to be taken. I still think it would make a cool cab truck though...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know you think I am crazy, but heres the deal.... but if I buy the 2500 and do this conversion... and I can actually sell the left over parts for around 9k (I am going to try and talk this guy down to 7k on the 2500) thats a difference of 2k, I also will get 600 bucks back from chrysler for whats left of my extended warranty... thats 2600 bucks... I go to the bank with that and refinace my truck to 24400 and lower my payments from 632 a month, and also have a drive train and engine that will last a LONG time if taken care of and the engine alone will be worth the conversion... plus I wouldnt mind paying the large amout a month for a truck that in my mind would be worth what I would be paying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts