Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've asked just about every major supplier about this- "Can I run an automatic locker in a c.a.d. axle?"

I just ordered a front Detroit locker and should be here in 1 day- that means true 4wd and the increased possibility of broken parts! We'll see how it does at Frank Raines this weekend. Now if I can only convince the wife to let me buy those new tires.....

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Kevin -

This is your daily driver? I am curious as to how the t-case will handle the front turning all the time. I am not sure about the oiling properties when there is no input to the front output shaft. That is my only worry and why I do not have one yet.

Be sure to buy a spare front axle joint or two while you are getting the locker installed. They might come in handy if the current ones let go and DO NOT take out the ears.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason, yeah, this is for the daily driver. I'm actually going with the Detroit Gearless locker, so I can install it myself. I will be carring spare front u-joints. There are many people on this site that are running similar setups without problems. Time will tell what happens though. I heard as long as there is adequate lubrication in the t-case it will be okay. I don't think it will be any different then driving around for a week in the snow in 4-hi as far as the oiling issue, would it?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I guess it would be okay. Let me know how the install goes (take pics and do a write up for the site!) and then tell me how it impacts your mileage turning all the extra parts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I guess I'll have to tell you later. National Drivetrain called me at home (I started my vacation) and said I won't have it until next week. I was hoping to have the locker, new tires, and my new license plates by the next outing. Oh well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the trac loc in my front axle. No problems at all. If you want more mileage, get a manual lock out hub for just the drivers side. That way the driveshaft will not spin and you will only have to get out to lock the drivers axle and not all the way around to the pass side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts