Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
From what i have seen it costs about $1000 for the brackets and everything to make the springs and everything bolt up. So its $1000 plus the springs and straight axle. Im not sure what that would run

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go to http://www.offroadunlimited.com, they make a SFA conversion kit that runs about $700.00...plus options. Of course, you'll have to weld up all the components (which if you don't weld is expensive). A SFA from a junkyard will run you about $200.00. You can figure the rest from there. In case you haven't noticed, most of your Tough Truck competitors are running IFS rigs now. Wonder why?

Sniper

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
ya the bracket kit is like $700 but everything else gets pretty pricy. i would say the end cost of everything would be around $5000. thats just a rough ball park guess could be more or less

·
Registered
68 Posts
5 grand is the cheapest that I have ever heard of anybody ever doing it, and they did every last bit of the work. If you get a shop to do it, it could cost anywhere from 7 grand to 15 grand, depending on whether or not you use used parts, new parts and how heavy duty of parts. Are you going to upgrade your rear axle, gears, t-case, etc. It can get pricey, but if you can afford it, you will have a beast.:D:

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i bet a lot of ppl would be going to it if it wasnt so damn expensive to do. if you have the money i would say definetly go for it....i know i would if i could

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm keeping my IFS because the rear end flexs so damn well that the IFS hasn't been an issue yet! I always disco the front sway bar (which helps a little bit) as well. For the $4000.00 a SFA conversion would run I can do SO MUCH MORE!

Sniper :shoot:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Converting a truck from ifs to a straight axle really isnt that complicated, if you can afford to have your vehicle down for a few days. Basically find yourself a late 70's ford f250 and take the rear axle out to put in your truck if you have a 10 bolt rear. The front you can save money buy buying GM replacement spring holders rather than ORU spring holders. Basically just follow the setup on the ford. I say a ford f250 becasue you get A)dana 60 B)the front drive shaft on your 231 transfer case will line up with the dana 60. Lets face it IFS is total junk, i had my experience with it, thats why i bought a dodge with a dana 60 front and dana 80 rear from the factory. Chevy does build great trucks, scrap that IFS and they would be the best!!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
why the heck would you want to do that?

you will not only have the cost of the axel ... but you just lost your ifs lift parts also?

you could probably do it for free .. your lift on the ifs must worth more than the straight.

you will loose you high speed off road for sure ... and be limited to slow travel :-?:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
you will for sure loose your high speed off road, but you will gain the all out advantage of a straight axle on off road. Better traction, easy to work on, 100 times stronger than IFS and you can run large tires with out blowing those wimpy car like cv shafts. lets face it IFS is great for a truck that sees alot of show or street use, but for serious off road straight axel is the way to go.

·
Registered
811 Posts
OK MAN PUT 2 TRUCKS TOGETHER AND LOOK AT THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE TWO FRONT ENDS. I HAVE THE IFS WITH 38.5 AND I HAVE MORE GROUND CLEARANCE THAN SFA WITH 40'S ALL DAY LONG BUT I WAS ALSO WANTING TO CHANGE OUT FOR SFA BUT I SAID SCREW IT WHEN I GOT ALL THE PRICES OF THE PARTS WEREN'T THAT BAD BUT IT WOULD BE A PAIN IN THE a$$ TO INSTALL SO I CHECKED WITH SOME FRIENDS ABOUT THE INSTALL AND THE CHEAPEST PRICE THERE WAS $6,500 JUST FOR THE INSTALL.
:shoot: :burning: :drool:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Take the money that you have for the Sfa and just go by a K5 blazer or and 70's or 80's straight axle chevy, Youll have enough $$$ to lift that after you buy it, then you will have 2 trucks.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
If you have that $$$$, Better buy a 2500 Ram (Dana 60 Front & Dana 80 Rear) with a manual tranny and you will have a great truck with very tough axles.
If I had the money I will do that because when you start modifying that deep finally you will spend more money and never will get the same quality of a Stock form.

Just my 2cents :bigthumb:

·
Registered
811 Posts
THAT'S ANOTHER GOOD POINT ALSO BUT IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT TRY TO FIND AN OLD 67-77 F250
HIGH-BOY TOUGH TRUCK PUT A 4" ON IT AND 40'S AND HELL NOT TO MUCH CAN TOUCH IT

:shoot: :burning:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts