Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
best buy would not install my radio(under their free installation)because there is no factory harness. i hooked it all up (correctly) and i'm still getting no sound from my factory speakers. it's not a prob with the radio cause i tested it. i called thier installation dept. and he said i had to turn on the factory amplifier.(don't have infinity system). where is it and how do i do it. I do have sound but it's cause i hooked up some highs to my amp so at least i have something to listen to.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-21 20:16, roughrider4ever wrote:
best buy would not install my radio(under their free installation)because there is no factory harness. i hooked it all up (correctly) and i'm still getting no sound from my factory speakers. it's not a prob with the radio cause i tested it. i called thier installation dept. and he said i had to turn on the factory amplifier.(don't have infinity system). where is it and how do i do it. I do have sound but it's cause i hooked up some highs to my amp so at least i have something to listen to.

that single wire that was attached to the back of the stocker, connect that to the power antenna (usually blue) wire of your new radio. i had the same problem when i put my pioneer in a couple of years ago. couldnt understand way i had sound if i used jumpers to an external speaker but not the vehicles.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...actually, the stereo system is a floating ground system and that wire that was hooked up to the chassis of the deck needs to be connected to either the chassis of the new deck or a ground...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody have any idea what color this "floating wire" would be. it's i've tried splicing a couple to the remote wire(not at the same time) and smoke came out of the radio. really gotta figure out what color wire i should attach remote wire too.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
the magic smoke. once you let it out you can never get it back in......

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you do not have the infinity system then why would you have an amp to turn on. Typically if you don't have the infinity system then your speakers are powered off the deck, someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's correct if you don't have Infinity system then you don't have a factory amp. The floating wire should be black. It needs to be hooked to the chasis of the radio or grounded.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And if you don't have an amp then your remote turn on wire should not be connected to anything. I would imagine the smoke you saw coming out of the deck was because you accidentally connected the 12v remote wire from your deck to a ground, which will "let the smoke out of it" or fry it. The deck might still be OK but if you ever want to run an amp off of it you might want to take it back where you bought it from and tell them it just doesn't work and get another one. Don't mention the smoke thing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also, if you don't have an amp then the only wires you need to worry about are RED=key switch, YELLOW=battery, BLACK=ground the only other ones you need to worry about are the 8 speaker wires, 4 front and 4 back which are usually colors like green, grey, purple, etc. Plus any accessory wires you might have like auto dimming or cell phone mute. All of the main wires you need should be accessible from the harness that went to the factory deck you just need to tap into them.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'v done all this stuff(speaker wires, radio ground to floating ground, power and battery). i know how to install radio's but i dont know whatthe problem is with this one. i have power, the face is lit, but no sound comes from the factory speakers. i'm almost to the point of pullingthe door panels off and rewiring the entire speaker system of the truck

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'll pull the pinout of the factory connectors from my FSM. It will be a '00, but I doubt much changed.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-22 15:07, roughrider4ever wrote:
i'v done all this stuff(speaker wires, radio ground to floating ground, power and battery). i know how to install radio's but i dont know whatthe problem is with this one. i have power, the face is lit, but no sound comes from the factory speakers. i'm almost to the point of pullingthe door panels off and rewiring the entire speaker system of the truck

did you buy the scoshe pigtail connectors? i found out also that theyre wiring diagram for the pigatails didnt match the one diagram on top of the factory radio. check that out also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The factory wiring is crap?? I think not. What possibly could be wrong with the factory wiring? Size is not important from deck to speakers. I run systems all day with the factory wiring, as do most audio shops and installers and have no problems.
If you don't have the Infinity system then there is no amp. If you bought a wiring harness adapter, Metra part # 70-1817, or any other company's then it should be working fine.
If it isn't working now, then rewiring the whole truck isn't going to fix it anyway. What would the chances be that ALL 4 speaker wire sets went bad at the same time? I would try a different radio, or better yet, put the factory one back in to check it all again.
Yes I do install stereos all day and I also own a 1997 Ram Club Cab 4x4.

·
Registered
104 Posts
the factory wires are small, size does matter when you are running every speaker off of a amp, less resistance. anyway, i had the facory infinity, and replaced everything when i added my two audiobahn 12's

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, you wasted alot of time then. Tell me how much sound quality difference it made to change all of that. Only a computer could tell you. Size does matter when making long runs, but from a replacement deck to speakers, it doesn't, which is what I said earlier.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
like ive said, the pigtail connectors i had bought made by scoshe, had the wires labeled wrong. i had to write down which wire did what from the sticker that should that on the top of the stock radio, then go back to the bench and resolder the wires correctly.

and as far as size is concern, bigger wire is better. long runs or short, the reason the most "installers" dont run new wire is because it isnt cost effective for the application. are they going to go thru the hassle of getting the new wires from the middle of the dash to all the way into the doors for a $50 install fee? no they arent. no i wouldnt run bigger wires for my vehicle, but im also not competing in a spl contest either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
y isnt the factory amp already on I installed an amp cut into rear speakers would that affect my amp have infinty

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Like I said before, the factory system uses a "floating ground", rather than your normal "common ground"!...to make things alot easier, you need an interface to convert your 5-wire system to an 8-wire system...

The Soundgate FLT1 Factory System Integration Adapter lets you connect most high-power (8-wire) aftermarket receivers to most floating ground (5-wire) car harnesses, keeping the high-power output from the receiver. This adapter maintains a full 20-20k Hz frequency range. and yes, I have installed many competition systems including the one in my truck... :p:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts