Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,783 Posts
what happened to poppys post? ......or bosco
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
actually. i double posted, then deleted only one of the post. dont know why both desapeared.

so no one knows how to tighten up the box?

and yes spawn.. the box that is in my truck, ths factory one mind you, that has seen over 100,000 miles, and has never leaked or had any problems other than this little amount of play is being "killed" right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
I thought there was a little allen screw you could turn to get the slop out. But you can't turn it in too much, or the steering will be harder to turn. :dunno: Is this what you're talking about drew?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
On 2005-12-06 19:46, Jason wrote:
I thought there was a little allen screw you could turn to get the slop out. But you can't turn it in too much, or the steering will be harder to turn. :dunno: Is this what you're talking about drew?

yes, exactly. but i thought you had to take something apart to get to it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
On 2005-12-06 19:48, Bosco wrote:


yes, exactly. but i thought you had to take something apart to get to it?

Nope right on top, loosen the nut around it and then adjust the allen head bolt then tighten the nut around it back down :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
I was trying to find the thread Drew, but I don't have enough time. In there it said if you have to turn the screw, your box is on the way out. This was more of a temp-fix or band-aid until you can get a new one. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
On 2005-12-06 19:53, Jason wrote:
I was trying to find the thread Drew, but I don't have enough time. In there it said if you have to turn the screw, your box is on the way out. This was more of a temp-fix or band-aid until you can get a new one. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow or something.

yeah, i wouldnt be suprised if it is on its last leg, it has seen its share of abuse. i just want it to live long enough for me to get some PSC stuff to replace it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Also you gotta do it with the rig running because as the oil in the pump starts circulating, it puts pressure (obviously), on various parts. Thus, if u did the adjustment with the vehicle off, u wouldnt get an accurate adjustment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
First STSs, then hawgs, now IROKs. Yeah, I'd say she's on her last leg. :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
is there somthing to "feel" for when adjusting it? or do you just turn it a little, check it, turn a little, check it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
On 2005-12-06 20:16, Bosco wrote:
is there somthing to "feel" for when adjusting it? or do you just turn it a little, check it, turn a little, check it?

Nope and yep, just do it a 1/4 turn at a time...it shouldn't take much. Just don't over tighten it, it will kill the gears in the box. You will know because you wills start to lose your return-to-center.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my apologies bosco. if that's the case - upgrade to a psc box and be done with it, since yours has so many miles already.

and btw, god likes you. i'm having 6 times more problems with a tinier truck than yours. go figure. my psc box didn't like 38s at all, hence the hydro..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
On 2005-12-06 20:51, Spawn_X wrote:
my apologies bosco. if that's the case - upgrade to a psc box and be done with it, since yours has so many miles already.

and btw, god likes you. i'm having 6 times more problems with a tinier truck than yours. go figure. my psc box didn't like 38s at all, hence the hydro..

i think i have been REALLY lucky with my steering box, just about every dodge i have ever worked on has had a sector shaft leak. im glad mine had held up this long. i plan to get the PSC box, pump and cylinder when i can afford it.. PSc is only about 30 minutes from me so maybe tom can help me find the optiman place to set it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,320 Posts
When I did mine, I found having the front wheels off the ground worked well...you can adjust a little, then spin the steering wheel (truck not running)...as soon as you feel a "tight" spot near center, back the set screw off slightly (or it won't completely return to center).

And yes, it is the 5.5MM allen screw (IIRC) with the locknut on the gear box. Should be a half hour job at the most.

steved
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Any Mopar I have ever owned has had to be adjusted every 100,000 miles. One truck I did 3 times before it was sold, yes that is 300,000 miles. Never had one fail. Never saw one fail. Change fluid and hoses every 100,000 miles and adj. I start with 1/2 turn, drive then add 1/4 turn until acceptable. If it wont return to center back off 1/8 turn. Never had to tighten more than 1 turn. Just adjusted my 98 Durango and 01 2500 last week. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Off on a slight tangent.....My '02 F250 with 4.5 in. lift and 35X12.5 in. tires has very sloppy steering. If you are not on top of it, it will wander right off the road. Could that type of adjustment fix my problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
Just because you adjust it doesnt mean its on the way out......... I adjusted the one in my red and silver truck at 98K, it now had 198K of big tires on it..stock box and it still works fine and doesnt leak. All youre doing is taking the slack out of the gear.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top