Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I dont like body lift if I was to get a 5 inch lift and then either a 2 or 3 inch body lift would these clear?
Am I insane for even thinking of that much lift? Would my trucks still be usable ?
I really want to fit more than 36's under my truck even if it rubs a little on full flex.

·
Registered
807 Posts
they should fit with a 5 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift. add 2 inch daystars to that and you wouldnt have to worry about it at all. it would still be usuable but it would be hard to put heavy stuff in the bed, like snowmobiles, atv's and stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
On the 6th page of the readers rides there is a Dodge 1500 (AIC Smith) that has a 6 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body lift. It has 38 inch super swampers. It looks good.

'90 Dakota,custom paint,bumpers,and rock sliders,Dukes of Hazzard Horn. Swapped in 318,T.F.727,NP208, Dana 44 front,9 1/4 rear with Detroit Locker.Dual exaust with Flow Master mufflers,chrome Edelbrock valve covers.
"It's not what you BUY,it's what yo

·
Registered
923 Posts
Are there any problems related to going with a 5 inch lift and daystars on top? I have a short bed standard cab and was concerned about driveshaft angles, driveshaft length/vibration, and brake lines. I would love to use that setup but only if it will work without major modifications.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, however I have not seen/heard much of Daystar's prior to this posting. I would imagine that if you got a 5" coil, you would be able to get a spacer to go on top, such as these daystars. Now, I would recommend to go with the leaf springs in the back in order to than lift higher once spacers are in the coils. I know with my lift I could easily go with 36's if I wanted, yet I am having too much fun dealing with my stock gear ratio and 35's! :):
And for the record I would have to say the fact that 38's would be cool, I would be concerned about what you could do with the truck with the exception of muddin'!! :p:
LUV24BY

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I am starting to think that 5/3/38 combo is not that bad. Our trucks can't goa heck of a lot of places as it is due to overhangs an width so I am begining to feel that a truck of that size is still perfectly usable offroad. Infact, I am thinking about that new 7" Skyjacker kit, with my bofy lift and running 39.5 TSL or Boggers :bigthumb::

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have a 93 f-150 long bed. It has a 6"supension lift and a 3" body lift and i have 38x12.50x15 TSL's. The only set back is that my turning radious is not to good but i can live with that because my truck looks kool a ****.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My cousin in San Jose has a green 97 2500 Ram with the 360, 8in Skyjacker stage 2 lift, and 38 in. Denman Groundhaws. Truck is freakin bad @$$!!! The only drawback is that I am 6'3" tall, and even I have to get a running start and jump just to get in the damn truck.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
you'll must really be anxious to fix axle breakage, cause thats what your gonna end up having with 38's on 1/2 ton axles and 4 wheelin. thats putting a helluva lot of weight and leverage on 1.25" axle shafts, especially the c clip dodge 9.25" axle. besides you would have to trim the fenders and bumper to get it to stuff really good any how.

·
Registered
464 Posts
As far as driveshaft angles go that could be a concern. Here's a couple things you could do to correct this.

1) Most lift companies make driveshaft spacers that'll bolt up to your T-case I believe that'll extend the driveshaft a coule inches.

2) <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.summitracing.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End --> sells rear end shims. They are little wedges that you put between the leaf spring and the axle to rotate the housing up. That will not only take the stress off the U-joints, but will also "lengthen" your driveshaft by keeping it more in line. Being that you have coil/leaf suspension you can only use those on the rear. I have leaf front/rear so I was able to use on both front and rear. <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=4588',650,505,'BEL4975'" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

Later and good luck.

-Chris

6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift Springs w/ 3" factory blocks, Custom Axle Vents & Steering Shaft/Knuckle Joint, 35X12.50X15 BFG AT/KO's on 15X8.5 American Racing 767, 360 w/ 4bbl & Crane PowerMax Cam & Valvetrain

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
you can and only want to do so much with the shims though. remember you want to keep both yokes at the same angle. if you have 2 different angles you gonna get vibration and prematurely wear the ujoint out. unless you wanna get into making custom driveshafts with cardigon joints, but you really dont want to do that because they get expensive to build real fast.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks a lot, I didn't think about rotating the axle but that would probably be enough to lengthen the shaft and make eveything ok. As for the front I'm not sure but whiplash is a 10 inch kit and doesn't need a new driveshaft so oh well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I GOT A NEW DODGE WITH 38 AND LOVE IT.I GOT A SKYJACKER 5IN AND 2IN SPACERS(WENT ON WITH NO PROB.)AND A 3IN BODY WHICH = NO RUBBING
PLANNING ON RUNNING 39.5 BOGGERS SOON MIGHT = RUBBING

·
Registered
923 Posts
I looked at your truck in reader's rides. NICE! I love it. I was wondering if your driveshafts (either one) gave you any kind of problem on the install or if they vibrate now. I am worried about flexing the back axle and pulling the rear shaft out of the transfer case. Can you turn your wheels all the way without rubbing? If you can that is great and a setup identical to yours is my plan by this summer along with 4.56 gears. Thanks for all your help, once again sweet truck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THE DRIVE SHAFTS AND NO RUBBING AT ALL COULD PROBALLY GO WITH A LARGER TIRE. THANX FOR THE COMPLIMENT.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lemme know what you are planning on doing with those old 38 TSL's, if they are in good shape you might have a buyer.

I'm sitting on 39.5 Boggers now....not great on roads...

-zach-

·
Registered
313 Posts
THOSE TSL'S ARE BRAND NEW JUST GOT THEM ON RIGHT BEFORE I DEPLOYED WITH THE AIR FORCE SO NOW THEY R JUST SITTIN SO MAKE ME AN OFFER
38.5-14.5R15 TSL/SX

·
Registered
275 Posts
ok i must be out of the loop but what is a daystar lift never seen 1 is there a web site i can see 1 at thanx

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Daystar manufactures polyurethane products. one of them is a spacer for the front coils. <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://daystarweb.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

1 - 19 of 19 Posts