Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was cleaning out the garage some and came across some 4 inch dryer duct. I decided to make my self a new air pipe from the stock box to the wheel well on my dodge since my was melted by my headers when it fell off. If you wana do this you need A fairly long 4" dryer duct and a roll of ductape. I bent the duct to were it would slide over my airbox inlet and ductaped it to it so it had a good seal. Next i ran the piping to the from the airbox and slid it threw a hole next to my radiator right behind the grill. Im pritty sure it accually makes a difference i got up to 95 a little quiker than i usally do on a streach of road by my house. Its a cheap substitute to replacing my melted airtube and now i gett to say i got ramair :):

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
would you see the same power increase from that or not. a few of my friends have rigged up an "airintake" but i dont think they will really see much of any gains from it

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sounds similar to the gains from a K&N Gen II, but probably doesn't flow as much. The GenII is definitely worth some HP, but maybe only 10-15 or so. But even 5-10 hp is not bad for a relatively cheap bit of work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read on a Dakota R/T site not too long ago that one of the posters did all the math that went along with a RamAir setup, and it came out to be a gain of around 1psi of boost when you are traveling at around 90mph.

SWEEET! So if i just go 540mph all the time,i wont have to buy that supercharger I've been saving up for!! :D:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
But that won't work on a ram. Maybe on a round open-element filter I could see that.

Because you're changing the volume of the air inside the filtered area, above the TB/carb.

But I don't think that there'd be 5hp gain from it.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
ive got mine flipped and i think it helps. i feel a little difference but not a ton. it doesnt make the exhaust louder but the engine is a little bit louder cuase its sucking in more air...sounds good i think though

·
Registered
69 Posts
i would think you would get turbulence or restriction from the ridges in the dryer duct. it seems you would be better off using pvc pipe thats glued together,cause the fittings have the same size as the pipe. :-?:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts