Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Holly throttle body for my 98 Ram. Before I spend the 500.00, is anyone running one or know someone that is? I'm curious as to the perfomance gain, mileage decrease, and the installation.....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
please post your findings, because i am fixin to pull the trigger on a major rebuild. i am hesitant to put a stock throtal body back on, but there is not many options. the site hawii posted ont the other thred has a couple and mopar preformance has a 4 barral. the prob with the 4 barrel is it is supossed to be race only, i do not know what that means, but i will call and ask. also, the 4 barrel intake is a monster pain in the ass to get to fit right, or so i have heard.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
since you probaly already know your existing tb is a holley. ive been told (be calling around, the pig needs more ommph) that you wont notice anything with the ported T.B. unless you atleast upgrade the intake manifold somehow. some places tell me the M1 intake, hughes engines modifies stock intakes by filling the inside, which shortens the runners. i think $500 for the holley is crazy when you can get a ported (52mm)from hughes engines, krc, big d(i think thats the name)and a few others i cant place. the 4 barrel T.B. is supposed to be hard to tune is what ive been reading.

one website had the explanation on porting the mopar T.B. he cutoff / ground down the little horns at the opening before the butterflies(around where it says holley on the top).radiused them in from the top into the barrels. ground the barrels down a little with the a dremel and one of those bits that has flaps of sandpaper. the effectiveness of this who knows, he just gives the seat of his pants feel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Holly I'm looking at is a 2 barrel. It's in the summit racing magazine. It says it gives quicker throttle response and more power, but doesn't say how much power. An added 1/2 HP could be considered more horse power.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Look at the Fastman or Flowmetrics TB's on speedtweaks.net. You can get the Flowmetrics 50 or 52mm TB's for only $250.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-02 10:45, MBsDodge wrote:
Check this website out before you do anything.
http://www.flometrics.com

check out them all before you do anything. one might be just smoke and mirrors and another might make claims that actually are true. out of them i would look at hughes engines and flowmetrics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you snoop around on this guys site, you'll see one of his projects is building a throttle body from scratch.
I found it kind of interesting.

The guy is an old hydroplane racer that plays around with his toys a lot I think. :):

Dak/Durango/Ram airfilter system similar to the K&N, snowmobile tweaks, throttle body...

http://www.intenseperformance.com

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-02 12:26, Ram_man2001 wrote:
If you snoop around on this guys site, you'll see one of his projects is building a throttle body from scratch.
I found it kind of interesting.

The guy is an old hydroplane racer that plays around with his toys a lot I think. :):

Dak/Durango/Ram airfilter system similar to the K&N, snowmobile tweaks, throttle body...

http://www.intenseperformance.com

DAMN! can you say too much time on their hands?
pretty fargin' cool though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts